Everyone, especially people who keep different birds together please post!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriendlyFlyer, Feb 21, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    First of all, I'm not carzy. Second, I've done my research. Third, what experience do you have with housing multiple bird species (ex. ducks, geese, chickens, guineas, swans, pigeons etc.)? I have 9 hens now and I'm going to purchase a few guinea keets, bantam chicks, and a couple pigeons (maybe even a gosling or two). I plan on housing them all together.....yes that space was for your gasp and time to think about what I just said. [​IMG] Before you go off on me please be curtious and open minded. I have a friend who houses chickens, guineas, and ducks together with NO problems at all. And I have looked up on many sites and read in posts that pigeons can be housed with other birds if given space up top to hang out and sleep, they will have that.
    So I would like to know what your experiences are with this. Please understand, I'm not looking to hear about all of the things that can go wrong, if something does go wrong I will correct it when the time comes. PLease post! Thank you in advance!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I keep chickens and ducks together. I've had turkeys on and off, but that was when everyone was free ranged so disease was less of an issue.

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    My chickens and ducks coop together during the day. The ducks sleep in the enclosed run at night and lay their eggs. My chicken sleeps in the coop and lay their eggs during the day. All is great with them.

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I've heard that raising guinea keets with chickens makes them calmer when they grow up. Whether there's truth in it or not, I cannot say as I've never tried. That is one good thing I've heard about species mixing, however, so I thought I'd chime in.

5. FriendlyFlyer

Jul 16, 2011
    Thank you all for posting. And I agree OldChurchEggery1, that gives me a lot of confidence, I think we all know guineas are a bit wilder than chickens. And sherylreno I think it is so cool that your ducks sleep outside! I've never heard of that before!

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have a mixed population species (200+ animals) and have had it set up that way for MANY years. It works great in my opinion. They all free range together, they eat together, etc. There is one chicken house that all of them lay eggs in. Well most all of them. Some will lay in hidden places and I find eggs weeks later. :/

The chickens roost in their chicken stalls. The ducks will sometimes go in and roost alongside the chickens. Some of the ducks will also roost on top of the peacock aviary while others just sleep on the ground. There are no predator problems, so the ducks and geese are safe. The turkeys will also at times, roost with the chickens but for the most part, the turkeys sleep on top of the 8 foot chicken house.

It works for me. :D

7. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I've always had my chickens and ducks together...no problems! Good luck!

8. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    We used to coupe them all together. Our Guienna birds tried to kill a rooster, and the ducks made such a mess, and I'll not get started on the amount of poo coming from our huge Tom.....lol

We only have the ducks and chickens now. They free range together but not roost together. Only b/c I am picky/lazy/OCD and do not want to panic/pull out my hair/ whine like a child/cry over messy chicken runs.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep chickens, ducks and a pair of geese in one coop (a former dilapidated,garage made over into a secure coop) and they all range freely together. The ducks tend to stay out at night instead of in the coop, but not always.

I feed Nutrena All Flock with oyster shell on the side, free choice.

The geese do not like conflict, so they often go after young roosters mounting hens if there is any squawking. If the roo is a gentleman and the hen squats and submits without noise, the geese don't care. Now and then a goose will tug at feathers to get a hen out of its way, but it's not fighting, just a strong suggestion. :D. The chickens learn.

Works very well for me.

10. FriendlyFlyer

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks all! I have posted something similar to this before but everyone who posted went on about how bad of an idea it is to house different birds together. I knew it could be done and you guys proved that! Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by