EVERYONE freaking out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcates, Aug 27, 2010.

1. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    [​IMG]

Hens (RIR) are 17 weeks old, rooster is about 4 weeks older..... have one hen that has been trying to make a dirt bed/nest in the run for a week or so, now it is dark, everyone is in hen house but rooster is calling for help/attention (he is the alarm when they are ready for treats) I opened hen house, all the hens are surrounding 1 hen who is obviously "nesting" and roo is jumping from roost to roost sounding alarm. The hens are all clucking and fussing/talking except for the one burrowed down in the nest. Is an egg coming???? Is there anything I can do to calm everyone? I hate seeing everyone upset and freaking out. They are my babies LOL [​IMG]

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's perfectly normal. It's the egg song! It's in the nature of chickens to celebrate when an egg is on it's way...has already been laid...or might be laid sometime in the future. You can't really calm them, it's just a thing they do. [​IMG] just make sure there aren't any predators around (it's also the ground predator call) and leave them be. They're ok. [​IMG]

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Don't see it as your chickens being upset but rather that they are excited and happy.

they'll be fine.

Sandie

4. TwinMommy2009

TwinMommy2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    Sounds normal, though Ive never experienced it (yet). Must be a hoot to watch!! Like a family at the hospital waiting for a new baby! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Found a soft blob of a brown egg this morning..... everyone is so proud, roo has been crowing ALL day non stop and is all sweaty from exertion. Too funny.... weird that they started it after dark, but guess that's when nature started calling. Cleaned out their hen house this afternoon, and changed nesting material, now they are very mad at me LOL

[​IMG] Thought I was helping! Oh well, will give them treats and be their best friend again LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by