Everyone got their set up ready for winter?

Chiko

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Orem, Utah.
I'm in Utah so it gets cold here really fast and STAYS that way. Our first snow fall was in the mountains in late OCTOBER
lol.png
Anyway, I've got my coop ready for the cold! I got all the materials, for free!

I got some thick(THICK!) Cardboard boxes from the grocery store and just nailed the pieces of cardboard on the inside walls of the coop, I grabbed some extra pieces of plywood my dad has, and put some shingles on them (My dad is a roofer...we have roofing materials handy
big_smile.png
) Put them so they would cover the aisle between the coop and the rabbit hutch(Which I'm using to store feed and tools
tongue.png
) So there will always be a patch of dry ground
big_smile.png
I then got some free tarps from my neighbor and covered the whole perimeter of the coop and the ground surrounding it, I have an electric waterer that keeps water from freezing and I'm going to get a red heat lamp and put it inside the coop at night to keep them warm while they sleep. I also got a piece of wood about 7 inches tall and put it right in the entrance of the coop so the girls can't kick the wood shavings out... I put straw, pine shavings and aspen shavings. I'm pretty sure theres some paper shavings in there too. I forgot. My girls are nice and toasty. I went in the other night at about 10:00pm and the lamp was never turned on, I grabbed my Orpington and she was so warm! Her feet her comb, everything! So that shows that just with the cardboard and the tarp, it kept them warm
smile.png
I guess we can save electricity until the snow actually hits the ground where the people live
tongue.png
So there you have it people
smile.png
My free way of keeping my girls warm
big_smile.png
I'm just bored and wanted to share this sooo...yeah!

Oh and PS. My ducks get into the coop too. Even though it is 2 feet above the ground, they actually know how to use the ramp! Cute right!?

You are way more organized than I am, but I'm not jealous- no I'm not.
gig.gif

Congratulations- good job.
thumbsup.gif

Imp's ready too. Expecting first snow Thursday night.

Back
Top Bottom