Everyone graduated! (Very Pic Heavy!)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DuckyBoys, May 5, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well my American Buff geese and Runners have reached the ripe old age of 4 weeks and look like a bunch of ugly ducklings! [​IMG] Will those feathers ever come in? One can only hope they will soon.

They graduated out to the barn brooder last week just before my dewlaps came and now that the weather is fair I have graduated them yet again, to a regular pen and light. They week old dewlaps have taken over the big brooder, they look miniscule and badly need the company of their future comrads due to arrive this week or next.

The barn looks inviting in the dark. The older bunch had a day out in the yard today and are literally ex-hausted! They couldn't wait to be put in for the night! LOL... But they look so comfortable in their new big pen with all that fresh straw.

Enjoy the peace which is rural Colorado at night. If only you could see the stars as well...it's our best kept secret. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Night!
    [​IMG]

2. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    What a handsome group! I didn't see a single ugly duckling! I am so jealous. I have three ducks, but don't want to test my luck with the neighbors by getting geese. I live in town, and am just waiting for a certain neighbor to complain, even though poultry are allowed. Where in Colorado are you? I am in Idaho Springs. You are right, I have yet to see a night sky that rivals ours. I also think our weather is a secret. Everyone thinks our winters are hell, but when we have a couple of feet of snow and then 60's or 70's a day or two later, I can't help but be glad that I live in Colorado. I'll take our winters over Missouri's anytime! ( Sorry Missourians, I was born there and go back every couple of years to visit relatives)

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Thanks for reminding me its been four weeks, time to post my 4 week pictures too! They look so happy in the spacious pen. Isn't it cool to watch their feathers grow in before your eyes? Today mine got some feathers on their faces. Mine are still in the house at night, out in the yard all day. I squirted them with the hose today, then had so much fun, especially the geese. One of the ducklings has a hurt leg though, so one duck each day has to spend the day inside next to hurt duckling's little private suite. The one I picked today must be a duck, what a loud quack!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That is a nice setup!

Your geese are getting to the awkward teenage years. Their feet will grow too quickly for the rest of them and they'll look ridiculous for a good long while until the rest of their bodies catch up.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:That is so true! My gander used to be smaller than the goose, now he is bigger and trips over his huge feet all the time. He is not very coordinated compared to her.

6. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, I've been here about 10 years now and can't imagine going anywhere else. I grew up in Ohio which was lovely, and spent about 15 years in Southern CA before coming here. Idaho Springs - Now I'm jealous. Such a cute little town! We are out in little Elizabeth, but not in town. I love Elizabeth because it looks like a mountain town - not quite as pretty as Idaho Springs - but we are on the edge of the Eastern Plaines. I don't mind the weather but the last two years have been more like Ohio than Colorado! I'm ready for spring.

RAINDROP - yes can you believe they are 4 weeks already! Mine have finally started quacking but no face feathers yet. I bet that is cute.

GREYFIELDS - I was wondering about those HUGE feet! LOL...I guess they are like the ears on a German Shepherd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by