Everyone has spurs!! at 4 weeks old??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Turkeyrangler, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I hatched out 20 EE mutt chicks this spring. I only planned to keep 5 or so and sold the others to a friend for real cheap. Tonight he calls me and say that all of his chicks (15) have little spurs. I checked mine and all of mine have them as well. Did I hatch 20 roosters?? 7 are 7 weeks old and the rest are just short of 4 weeks old including the ones I have. What are the odds of this or do they all have little spurs at this age and I never noticed. BTW they are from 4 different hens and 1 rooster.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hens can have spurs too.

3. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:Well that makes me feel better, but I just find it really odd.

4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Most of mine do but the roos are the only ones that are more than just a bump and there all about 15 weeks...

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's ok, you can rest easy about your chicks. Chickens have a sort of dewclaw on the back of their legs, like dogs or cats would. It's very common in the animal kingdom. On hens, it rarely develops past a little nub. On roosters, it becomes a specialized tool to fight other males (a big spur).

Hope that helps!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    All 8 of my girls have that bump too.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Nearly all chicks will have the spur bump visible - pullets and cockerels. There are a few breeds where the pullets can develop a spur, such as some of the game breeds.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    All chickens have the "spur" bump. Roosters don't grow theirs until they are close to maturity and typically only about a half inch per year. And yes, even hens can get the rooster type spur that grows, but it is not typical for all to get them unless they are a breed that is common for hens to have them (I think there's one or two). Could you be seeing their backward facing toe and mistaken it for a spur? If you're referring to the bump, that is normal.

If you post pics in "what breed or gender" section, byc folks can probably tell you if you have girls or boys on the 7 week old chicks.

9. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Most if not all chicks have a small bump and all of my hens had that bump as well. I did notice my Welsummer Hens have 1/4 to 1/2 inch bump spurs with no point when they were a year and a half old. This was really cool for hens to have spurs.

10. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Thanks all. I've had chickens for almost a year and never noticed this before. I feel a little foolish that I haven't. Learned something new today. Very cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by