Everyone is SICK! Baby Turkeys and my 5 month old Chickens!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xmush1620x, Sep 10, 2016.

1. xmush1620x

xmush1620x Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    So, I have a large coop and run for my chickens and have a raised brooder that I keep my 6 baby turkeys in that are 3 weeks old, within the chicken run. The other day, I had 1 dead turkey - no external symptoms. The day after, I noticed 2 turkeys had red wart like wart/lumps on their face and body. But, the remaining 3 turkeys, do not have any bumps. I assumed a fowl pox outbreak, since it can't be blackhead - they don't share ground space with chickens. Brooder is 4 feet off ground and covered. Today, I go out...and two of my roosters are acting, off... I shoed them out of the run to range for a bit, and noticed one of them shack his head vigoursly and a large 6 inch string of mucus flew out.... then I noticed throughout the coop, more mucus strings... slung on the floor and on the hens... WTH?!?! I examined each chicken - one hen has bumps on her legs....but that's it..... Is this Fowl Pox breaking out in my entire coop? I gave ACV and polyvisol....anything else?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! It sounds like a real epidemic. Sorry you are experiencing this - particularly if it's pox. Best of luck to you!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Fowl pox or ant bites would be some things to rule out. Pictures of skin lesions may help. As far as the roosters slinging mucus, it could be a respiratory infection, such as MG or bronchitis. MG usually causes nasal drainage and watery, bubbly eyes, and symptoms may improve with oxytetracycline or Tylan. . Infectious bronchitis causes sneezing a a little clear nasal draiange. You migt also feel of their crops to see if they are emptying overnight, or if a problem exists. Fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes usually only involves the skin lesions, but wet fowl pox can involve the throat, airway, esophagus, and crop with yellow sores. Look inside the beaks for yellow spots if any are especially sick. Sometimes obtaining birds from another source can bring in respiratory diseases. Here are some links about respiratory diseases and pox:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by