Everyone knows that chickens eat worms! But...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by werttyy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. werttyy

werttyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Chicago
    MY CHICKENS WON'T EAT ANY WORMS!!! They don't take the initiative to dig for them and when I place them on the plate, they won't eat it either! [​IMG]

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I witnessed my RIR grab one yesterday and suck it down like a spaghetti noodle..it was amazing! [​IMG] How old is yours? My girl is 8 weeks. Maybe she needs more time

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Mine love worms!

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Try mealworms... by far, their favorite. You can get dehydrated ones at Lowes Home Improvement Stores. Yum!

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Mine are not big on earthworms either. They love the dehydrated mealworms but only play around with live earthworms. They'll grab a mosquito out of the air and will go after some ground bugs, but not all of them.

6. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    my 8 week olds LOVE earthworms.. but

are mine the only chickens that could care less about the dried meely worms? they just aren't interested...

7. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love dried meal worms, and every kind of bug or creepy crawly they can get their beaks on!!! I love watching them jump half way up the fence, pluck a grasshopper and land like a ninja on the run!

8. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    My girls like worms but their very, very favorite is sow(pill) bugs. They pass the worms over for the sow bugs.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have some that will eat them and some that act like they don't even see them when I offer them. It's just differences in the birds. But ALL my birds will eat mealworms.

@Jerseycoop: The ones of mine who will eat them suck them up like spaghetti too. It's pretty funny [​IMG]

10. ScouterJoe

ScouterJoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    I've never seen mine go after worms. I didn't know about meal worms. They do love every kind of bug they can find. I've watched them picking mosquitos right out of the air. They do enjoy japanese beatles. I've set up a beatle trap that uses no pesticides, just a sexual and scent lure so that I can give them to the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by