1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Everyone loves a good foot soak...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Breac, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Breac

Breac Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    ...even chickens, apparently! I have a hen I'm treating for bumblefoot. I read that soaking their feet in an Epsom Salt bath for five minutes a day will really help. I've been dipping her feet for three days, and she has definitely come to enjoy it! She comes when I set the pan out with the water in it. Plus, when I put her in, she practically falls asleep! The reason I hold her isn't to keep her in; it's to keep her from lying down in the water! She'll stay in the water of her own free will for a good ten minutes before she jumps out. After that, she puts herself in her kennel and goes to bed. I guess even chickens like creature comforts.

Anyone else have chickens that enjoy or indulge in human luxuries?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I had a house hen who would come running when ever she heard the shower. And if you weren't careful she'd jump in the tub with you!

3. Breac

Breac Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That's amazing! I didn't think chickens could swim. Did you ever have to fish her out of the tub?

4. Serrin

Serrin Songster

Cute story Breac. Thanks for sharing it. All of my chickens love to play in the water, especially on hot days. Sometimes, during a hot, dry spell, I'll let the hose trickle out in the yard for them. They'll spend more than half of the day out there, just muddling about in the puddles. You'd think they were part duck! [​IMG]

And by the way, [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Quote:She couldn't swim worth a lick which didn't stop her. She was a white Silkie who really liked to stay clean. Had to keep all commode lids shut, too!

6. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    My Serama hen with frostbite liked soaking in the salt! I wedged her into a container where she couldn't drown.
    [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My boy Thor (avatar pic) would stand in the duck pool when it was really hot along with one of my Delaware pullets. They like cool water when it is hot for sure. Hot days and a cool bath is enjoyed also...especially when they get their chest and under their wings wet. Mine will doze off then for sure.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

i dipped a few chickens in a deep dish water pan.... they picked their feet up tight and just floated around and around dozing off enjoying their spa treatment... hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by