Everyone meet our new Guardian dog :D

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hobbley_Farm, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

her name is Bones. She's half Rott and half Black and Tan coon hound. We got her last night. She's 8 weeks old and we have really high hopes for her. She's just as smart as she can be this old. We don't know what she'll look like yet, more like her father or mother, seeing as both dogs have the same markings. Different dogs in the same PJ's so to speak. She adores our tot. She loves our older children. Hopefully she'll be territorial where other dogs are concerned. She has a JOB to do....well, when she's old enough. She's just a darling [​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

she's cute!!!

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I love her! I think she should make a great watch dog and she should have a really cool bark.

4. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    We have a Rotti and a Coonhound, I hope you can get her to stay at your farm. Our Redbone Coonhound, takes off on ANY scent she gets. Our Great Pyrenees are the best Guardians of the farm hands down. Your new girl is cute, I hope she does her job well for you./ [​IMG]

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    She is cute! Looks like she'd eat chicken though.

6. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I just love her! She will be a great dog just make sure you stay firm in your training and you guys will all be fine. All my rots were stubborn as heck but they sure learned fast. Congrats

7. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] She's being brought around the chickens and goats. She'll be brought in with them after everyone is done with their worm meds lol.

I did read that coon hounds were notorious wanderers. We have an invisible fence that may be used if she's too bad. Our other dogs stay at our place, or occasionally go over to my moms. (half of everyone on this stretch of road is related to me...The other half have the dogs that bother me)

The most stubborn dog I have ever had is my "Soldier" who's in my avatar. He's part boxer. It took me forever to figure out his "trigger" to make him want to learn what I wanted to teach him. I have already explained to everyone on the house that we can't horse around with her and we have to be the dominate in every situation. Even my TOT seems to understand that. This dogs "trigger" is easy though. She just wants to please. Now THAT i'm used to because I was raised with Labs as a child.

We have high hopes for her. Anyways, She's a doll

8. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    Just be ready! With COonhonds its never a dull moment! ours got the scent of a deer and I had Electric charged the kennel to keep her in with horse fenceing. She CLIMBED the fenceing, screaming and getting shocked all the time and ended up falling thru a fozen lake when we lived up north. She chased them clear out on the ice and then had to be rescued! Your puppy looks like our Deigo. [​IMG] Here he is in his crate for feeding time at the zoo! LOL

9. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:I (sigh) am already used to living in a household where there is never a dull moment. So it won't shock my system too much. My husband and I are always laughing and shaking our heads. I have a few stories to tell about our other dogs...sometime.

Now, you're Deigo, is he full blooded black and tan? THe black and Tans that I looked up on the PC had longer faces and ears. I took this sentence
    We have a Rotti and a Coonhound

as to say you have 1 rottweiler and 1 coonhound. I have to say that your dog REALLY looks like Rott/Coon mix. That's EXACTLY what we're hoping "Bones" will look like. I love those big meat heads!​

10. Florida chick

Jan 19, 2008
    LOL, we have a Redbone Coonhound Molley then there is Deigo...We are un hunting areas and its not out of the question, he may have some hound in him. Everything thinks he is a pure Rotti ( but he is too small and not short enough in the snout) He is probably exactly what your girl is. The REdbone, is the evil get out of anything, and MUST track MUST TREE MUST BAY all night till she is caught.
    we have 7 at the moment, we rescue rehab and SUPPOSED to rehome, but people aren't adopting.
    We have 2 Great Pyrenees ( my babies)
    1 Redbone
    1 Pit bull
    1 Deigo Rotti X? Black and tan maybe
    1 Welsh Corgi
    1 Choco Lab X
    All are animal and kid friendly, but were NOT when they arrived. It can be done with any breed, it just takes time. Cats and Birds and everyone is safe, nothing gets passed the dogs to eat birds anymore. LOL [​IMG] I will love to see your pup grown up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by