Everyone molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickKidsDad, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ChickKidsDad

ChickKidsDad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Kirkwood, MO
    From the looks of all the feathers and no eggs for the last 3 days, I think everyone is molting. All 6 hens of my girls hatched in April, and their their poduction dropped about a month ago with the shorter days to 1-3 eggs per day. Is it ok that they molt in late November? Is it normal that the all molt at once? Or should I be looking for another problem? They seem happy... Thanks for your replies.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    My girls that were hatched in April of '07 did not molt their first year; they just finished molting recently. I do still have one that's getting new feathers in. I'd say of those 6, two started at almost exactly the same time, 1 the following week, 1 the week after, etc.

It does seem sort of odd that all 6 of your girls started at exactly the same time, and as I mentioned, mine never did molt their first year, but maybe I just got lucky.

Have you checked for parasites?

3. ChickKidsDad

ChickKidsDad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Kirkwood, MO
    I haven't looked for parasites, but my girls are spoiled. They spend the day in a tractor, with fresh water and food. I am using the deep litter method in the overnight coop, but I haven't seen any lice or tics. Any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by