Everyone Please be aware of Raccoons!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GooseyMcGee, Aug 21, 2011.

1. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    I was ignorant to the fact raccoons were a threat to geese. Please take extra measures to prevent something bad.

A raccoon tore threw the plastic chicken wire of my good pen. He brutally killed my poor male Chinese goose. Fortunately, the female was able escape to the pond. My girlfriend and I are pretty shocked and devastated. We were able to keep them safe from coyotes but we had no idea about the raccoons. The female comes inside the house night for now. She is very lonely and keeps looking her friend. I think we will give her away to a petting where she can make friends with another goose and some ducks.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Oh gosh, how awful. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Where we live there are all kinds of predators including coyotes, bears, raccoons, hawks, etc. To truly secure your featherd friends, it is important to remember that chicken wire is intended to keep the flock IN, not to keep predators out. Hardware cloth is what we use on our run around the coop to keep our chickens safe. Some folks use hot wire, but we haven't found it necessary. Of course, our run is covered too. Raccoons have NO difficulty climbing and will get into an unsecured coop. Hardware cloth & lock 'em up tightly at night.

Is there any chance you can get her a new friend? Poor girl. Best wishes to you in whatever you decide to do.

3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Where are you located? I have 7 geese, 6 ducks and a big pond.
    Quote:

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your gander. He probably died trying to protect your female. I see it all the time with Chinese ganders, they will take on anything to defend their mates and friends. Unfortunately, they often lose.

5. GooseyMcGee

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    We spend a lot of time with the female today. I'm thinking it might to hard to give her away. Still to think about it more. Maybe we'll get some hardware cloth.

We are in San Diego Count, CA.

Yes. I fairly sure he did sacrifice his life to save her. She have a little bit of feathers pulled out by her tail and a few on her neck. The raccoon must have tried to get her first. Then he jumped in. He was a hero goose.

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Down at Lake Murray, there is a white Chinese gander that just lost his companion to coyotes recently. I don't know how easy it would be to catch him, but maybe he might make a good mate for your female. The thing is that I think he's pretty old. I've talked to people at the lake and they seemed to indicate that it would be OK to remove him if you're giving him a good home (you could double check to make sure). He might not be easy to catch, though. He used to be, but not since his friend died. He's the only male Chinese there right now with a huge knob. There are other geese there, but he often stands off alone and is losing weight.

Also, at Chollas Lake, there are a few Chinese and Africans that the staff there might let you take if asked.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Down at Lake Murray, there is a white Chinese gander that just lost his companion to coyotes recently. I don't know how easy it would be to catch him, but maybe he might make a good mate for your female. The thing is that I think he's pretty old. I've talked to people at the lake and they seemed to indicate that it would be OK to remove him if you're giving him a good home (you could double check to make sure). He might not be easy to catch, though. He used to be, but not since his friend died. He's the only male Chinese there right now with a huge knob. There are other geese there, but he often stands off alone and is losing weight.

Also, at Chollas Lake, there are a few Chinese and Africans that the staff there might let you take if asked.

Wouldn't that be wonderful if one of those could find a good home.. [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would love to find all of them homes. I've talked to lake staff at Lake Murray and they seem to indicate that it's not a problem for someone to take them and some even hope they go to loving homes. But, if one were to take Louie from Lake Murray, one should do it early in the morning with few people around.

The staff at Chollas Lake are very helpful and if you ask them, I'm sure they would be happy to have you come get a gander from them and may even pick one out for you.

Just a suggestion, though. One thing about taking a gander from a public area is that they have to be quarantined and dusted/wormed.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. GooseyMcGee

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks for all the information. I'm gonna discuss things with my girlfriend and make a decision.

10. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    I wish it was just the raccoons. Right now we have a bobcat who is killing my geese during the day in my backyard. He also took out a 30lb turkey but couldn't get away with him because the turkey wouldn't fit through the fence [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by