1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everyone quit laying - I feel like chicken tonight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknsnbiskits, Oct 26, 2010.

1. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Hey all. I'm frustrated here. I actually had to BUY eggs for the first time in years.
    We have 5 hens, all just a couple years old. In the past, they have all laid more or less consistently.
    For the last couple months, egg production has been dropping, until now, we get maybe 1-2 eggs/week.
    The only thing I can think that has changed during that time is that we have new next-door neighbors who have 3 HUGE noisy dogs. They are on the other side of the fence, but several planks are broken, and the dogs stick their heads through and bark at the birds and kids. The fence is about 6 feet from the chicken pen and coop.
    Could the dogs be scaring the girls out of laying?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Could be. Stress will mess up their laying for awhile that's for sure!!

Missi

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i am not sure but maybe your ladies are under stress or they are motted, or i heard they slow down lay egg around 2 yrs but i could be wrong i hope more pple will give idea why they stop.

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I would think stress to. But to be on the safe side did you check them for mites? Just an idea...

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Lots of things could be happening this time of year.....Molting, decreased daylight, and of course you're right, the dogs peeking through the fence and barking are no help at all. Also, once your hens reach around age 2, the egg laying will begin to decrease dramatically. I just re-homed four of my 2 year old hens for that very reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by