Everyone says this is the best thermastat for homemade incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
  2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanx! I figured that out after asking the seller. Got one for 19.99!! plus shipping and handling and.... only 2 dollars less than that one [​IMG]
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermostat-Swit...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Im pumped. this will be zee final pieze to zee puzzel..moow-hahah

I hear these are great and I didn't want to go down the same road of buying cheap three times just to finally buy the right one and waste more money and time.

4. dbcooper02

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    What are you going to use for heat?
    db

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    a light bulb?

6. dbcooper02

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I'd suggest using two light bulbs wired parallel, not in series. That way if a bulb burns out the second will maintain the heat. That would be better than waking up to a cold dark bator some am.
    db

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    good thinking...like two 25watt shorties (short bulbs) across from eachother. (What exactly to you mean parallel -not in series...not next to eachother, right?) I have a pc fan for inbetween. should I put all this stuff under the eggs? Im doing a similar "auto" turner I found on WindyOaksYokes post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=89521

in
    a styrofoam chest.

8. dbcooper02

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    awe....my head hurts:) I saved it to may favorites.. I'll have hubby check it out tomorrow. Im sure he'll understand.

Is this just a backup (if the lights are wired parallel and one is affected, it will not affect the other?)... or does it distribute energy better?

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    series means that the bulbs are both wired together....so instead of having a separate set of wires for each bulb you hook a wire to the positive, then a wire to bulbA, the another wire from bulb A to bulbB, then a wire from bulbB to the negative. If bulb A goes out it will break the loop to bulb B, meaning bulb B won't get any power. In a parallel setup, each bulb has its own positive and negative wire hooked to the power source, that way if one bulb goes out and breaks the continuous loop of electricity the second one will keep going cause it has its own loop. Don't know if that makes any more sense.

(BTW, I know this isn't really technical and there's a little more to it, just trying to break it down!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by