1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everyone seems to have diarrhea....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonic Pug, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls have had diarrhea for 2 days. There is no evidence of blood or worms. Some stools have some mass but others are completely liquid, usually a tan color. Everyone is eating, drinking and acting normal. They all run up and want treats whenever I enter the coop.

The girls are 8 1/2 weeks and have been in their big girl coop for 3 weeks. The run is sand and is cleaned nightly for droppings and old food. Right now, the girls are getting some steel cracked oatmeal (not cooked) and organic leafy greens in addition to their medicated chick feed. I put a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in their gallon waterer daily.

The weather has been moderate except it has been overcast this week (live on the coast of California).

What could be the reason for this? What can I do whether it be medicine or food remedies to help rectify this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Sonic Pug

Anyone?

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Not too many folks online at this hour, but wanted to share a webpage that I found on another BYC thread:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

It's a pictorial of what chicken poo is normal and what's not. Someone in one of the replies said, I believe, 'One of the most informative and disgusting links I've ever seen on this website.' ... or words to that effect. It's been warm here (inland San Diego) and mine have been drinking more and pooing more tan liquid.
    Hope this helps -

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I would worm them. You have to assume they do have worms even though you don't see any. It's just the way it is because they mess with the soil all the time. Certainly, worms deplete their energy. I would also use some sevin and treat for leg mites. I would keep their bottoms clean and I would keep the water extra fresh and include something tasty and hydrating like a splash of gatorade or some powdered electrolyte. Something tasty will encourage lots of drinking. You want to get on it you don't want to fool around with diarrhea.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Stop the cracked oat meal and stop the leafy greens, stop ALL treats, stop the ACV. Feed them only starter/grower feed, regular freshwater. Cecal poop is normal at about every 8-10 droppings. If the diarrhea continues for another 7-10 days, switch to unmedicated starter feed and continue til they are 18-20 weeks old, then switch to regular layer feed. Then add 1 tablespoon ACV to their water.

6. Sonic Pug

Thank you for the suggestions. It is really nice knowing there are others that are willing to share their time and expertise. [​IMG]

7. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Quote:Everyone who is just getting started with chickens should look at this link. It will clear up alot of concerns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by