everyone that has rubbery eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countryentertainment, Feb 6, 2008.

1. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    What kind of feed are you using?

We were using Agway but switched to
    Poulin and the Shell less eggs are going away.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    OYSTER SHELL!!! GIVE THEM OYSTER SHELL!!!!

Use Nutrena, Purina, or Blue Seal layer feeds.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I don't know..some kind of organic layer feed I get at the feed store. They also get free-ranging time as well as treats of grapes, black sunflower seeds, yogurt, etc.

And yes, they always have access to oyster shell but they pretty much ignore it. Maybe its ground too fine? Its just the kind you get at the petstore for parakeets.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Another reason for rubbery eggs is distress. My coop has no light coming in from outside when it is dark out (no moon, star, etc.). The window DH put in is to small and the coop is in a very weather sheltered area that unfortunatley doesn't help any. I keep a 7 1/2 watt night light bulb on because they weren't using the nest boxes and they were laying rubbery eggs. Accidently left the light on one night and low and behold they used the nest boxes and the eggs were fine. I found out how dark the coop is one early morning while gathering eggs and the power went out for a few seconds. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by