1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everyone Thinks I'm Nuts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by angelbabyamy, Apr 10, 2011.

1. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    We're taking advantage of the nice weather (no rain) and doing yardwork this weekend. I move a tote that was sitting on the patio and there are tons of little baby worms. I grab a container and pick up all the bugs and worms I find. Fighting the urge to throw the worms in the compost pile, I fed them to my 6 week old Maran and BLRW chicks. At first they were scared of them, then one starts to peck at them and then it's on! Chicks grabbing worms, running around cheeping with the others trying to steal them.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but he is very patient. I have 17 chicks outside, 15 EE and 2 Polish that are 4 weeks old + a 6 week Maran roo in the house (he was getting picked on by his big brother and losing feathers). I also have 2 silkies, 2 mille fleur, I think a banty EE, and 2 other bantys ( I think they are cochin but I'm not sure) and a mystery chick I saved from a hatch I did for a friend. He was unable to lift his head and his neck was curved and one leg was up by his head. After 10 days of hobbles and chick shoes he is doing well!

My family thinks I'm nuts and that I need to go to rehab! I think it's because my kids are 18 & 21 and I need to take care of and baby something! No empty nest syndrome here, lol!

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've done the same thing. We recently moved out rose garden which included a brick wall. Found all kinds of worms and grubs for my chickens. My husband will even toss a worm here or there that he finds. I'm still sure he thinks I'm nuts. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not many on here are likely to think you're nuts....

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Yep, just post here & you'll get all the support you need. [​IMG]

5. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    My husband has taken a mason jar and filled it with worms during the rain at work in the middle of the parking lot. This wasn't for chickens though, it was just for fishing. So no, I do not think you are nuts at all. [​IMG]

6. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    IMHO: [​IMG]

Yes: You are nuts.

And Yes: You are here, thereFORE, you are in therapy.

Problem recognized. Problem solved. Carry on smartly! [​IMG]

7. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Nothing wrong with giving out worm snacks! We started flipping the stepping stones over every few days while the girls are taking their "walks" and let them find the grubs underneath. Feeds the ladies and gets rid of the bad bugs. It's a win.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I'm nuts too. In digging the garden (a couple of fences away from my hens) I started finding white grubs and those hard orange worms that eat plant roots. got a bucket, dumped them in, and when I finished, carried the resulting treat to some very grateful hens...

This site is therapy. It takes a chick-aholic to know a chick-aholic???[​IMG]

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Nuts!! I LOVE watching them chase each other for the BEST piece of treat or worm for that fact! It's like they HAVE to prance around and show off what they have before even trying to eat it! They get SOOO excited!

10. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    See what's good about posting here is ...We are ALL NUTS [​IMG] I was just doing that yesterday. Moving some landscape stone around and found all these juicy worms..had my babies out for the nice sunny day and fed them here and there. It's ok to be nuts if its the [​IMG] or [​IMG] kinda nuts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by