Everyone warned me about the addiction.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by huckleberryfarm, Jan 21, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    but this is bad! My 11 silkies got here yesterday. I was nervous at first... do they peck me... will they poop on me.... what if I break them? Before long, we were holding them, watching them, trying to figure out who is who. I went to bed scared about the stupid red heat light since I read on here yesterday that it burnt down someone's chicken coop. I kept reminding myself that they are in the garage, the light is secure. So then I started worrying if they were cold which resulted in me running downstairs and out to the garage to check on them. Safe and sound, all snoozing. But I kept worrying and running out there which resulted in very little sleep. They did not seem concerned. Here comes 6:00 am and my son is up 30 minutes earlier than normal so he can see the chicks. Here we go... early, early, holding the chicks, laughing at them running around. Every few minutes I think I better just "go see what they're doing". And they are always doing basically the same thing... eating, running around, hopping, singing. But for some reason it seems totally enthralling. Now my daughter is up. I need a shower. I need to do laundry. She wants to hold the chicks. ARGH! I can see that this is going to be bad news for my clean house and anything else I was *supposed* to do today!

But isn't it fun???? [​IMG]

2. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Congratulations on your new chicks! I think we're all addicted so you're certainly among friends and like-minded people!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    And it happens *just like that*. [​IMG] Pretty soon you'll be planning all the other breeds you want and another coop that will hold LOTS of chickens.

ETA: Congrats on the fuzzy butts!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  4. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

And you will find that Silkies are just the sweetest things. And really-----you can't ever get enough of them, you will have far more than 11! Trust me.[​IMG]

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    The novelty will start to wear off a little and you'll be able to get some things done, don't worry. Enjoy them while they're small; they grow very quickly!

And just think, it could be worse. Last spring was my first time with chicks. I got them home, we spent all evening ooo-ing and ahh-ing over them (even my sister, who hates birds). Now I had an interesting setup last year where my sister's fiance was renting my upstairs room and I was sometimes staying at my place and sometimes at my folks' (because really... it's weird living in the same house as your sister's fiance). So that night I tucked the chicks in (ha ha) and went next door to sleep at my folks'. I was out like a light; truly amazing.

At 5:00am I get a woken up by a call from the sister's fiance. The chicks are cold, they're bunching up. 5:00 am. Is the light out. No. Are there any dead ones? I don't think so.

Grumble, get dressed, grumble. I slog on over (thank goodness it was June and already light) and check on the chicks.

They're sleeping peacefully. Like I should be.

So at least your kids aren't waking you up in the wee hours like ol' city boy did. Yet [​IMG]

6. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    You might as well just give in to it. Put on a fresh pot of coffee and set up a chair out by your brooder and just resign yourself to catching up on the housework tomorrow! That's what happens around here every year! Congrats on the chicks.

7. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! My husband gets home late tonight and I can't wait for him to see our new babies! I have 15 more chicks coming in a few weeks but this time a mix of silkies and other things. And some Araucauna eggs coming that we are going to try to hatch. Guess I'm in for the long haul! [​IMG]

8. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    Have fun they will make you smile even when your day has gone bad!

9. Sigh....

I miss the fuzzy butts. CAN"T wait to get the order in this spring !!

Congrats on your babies. Gotta love the babies.

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] welcome from Mo ~ [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by