Everyone was guessing White rock or Cornish cross. Here are new Pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amarook, Apr 24, 2009.

1. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Here's the link to my original post about these chicks. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2018872#p2018872

I took some new pictures of them today. I can tell you this. They may not be what I wanted, but I kind of like them anyway. They are very spunky, & very curious. They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday and I think the Roo of the bunch is already making his presence felt. It's wattles are already turning red! And it's SUPER aggressive.
    He was pulling feathers on the 8 week old reds!!
    All the other chicks seem to be pretty friendly. [​IMG]

On to the pics!

I love this picture. lol [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sitting on my knee.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one fell asleep right in my hand. See!
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to a video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amarook/3471757228/

Oh, and just in case you can't tell, they do appear to have a slight yellowish tint on their backs.
    I'm wondering if they could be Buff Orpingtons after all?

Thanks for all your help!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Do they have white skin? It appears so in the pic. If so, it is neither breed as both have yellow skin.

3. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I'll have to double check. I think it is pinkish.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They look so great!!! Mine are at least 2.5 weeks old, it's possible that they were more than 3 days when I got them so they may well be nearly 3 weeks by now. Anyway, the have lots of feathers, like yours. Especially my RIR pullet. It's just so weird, not so long ago they were fuzzy butts!!

Your brooder looks awesome too!

5. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    What kind of chicks do you have?

Brooder is kind of a pig sty right now. lol
    It works really well. I have a panel I can put on the front of it when it gets too cold to prevent drafts.

I have a pretty crafty DBF.

[​IMG]

We still have to put roosts up on the walls. And last to come will be nest boxes.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Won't you move them outside by the time they are old enough for nest boxes? Mine are going outside in the morning. They were supposed to go out today, but life got in the way. They are tired of being cramped up in here, they chirp at the door for me because I have been letting them out some in the afternoons.

Mine are supposed to be 3 RIR, 2 cockerels and one pullet (they were straight run) and 3 are supposed to be "assorted pullets" I think they might be white rocks, but really I have no idea. They look like yours [​IMG] My white ones are less feathered out, though they were originally bigger the day I brought them home. I think the RIR pullet is maturing the fastest. Honestly this far along her feather colors look exactly like a pic of a red star that I saw, but she didn't look like a red star chick, so I guess it's just wait to see what the finished product looks like. Or maybe she's mixed breed. Doesn't matter to me so long as she lays good eggs [​IMG]

This was them on their 10th day here. I think it's the most current pic I have, need to take some tonight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like male sex link.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I really don't think so, she didn't look like one when she was fuzzy. Those are her brothers under the roost in the top pic, and they are still fuzzy compared to her. She's feathering out like a pullet, IMO and she doesn't have the attitude that they have. She's one of my favorites. Time will tell.

9. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:Won't you move them outside by the time they are old enough for nest boxes? Mine are going outside in the morning. They were supposed to go out today, but life got in the way. They are tired of being cramped up in here, they chirp at the door for me because I have been letting them out some in the afternoons.

Mine are supposed to be 3 RIR, 2 cockerels and one pullet (they were straight run) and 3 are supposed to be "assorted pullets" I think they might be white rocks, but really I have no idea. They look like yours [​IMG] My white ones are less feathered out, though they were originally bigger the day I brought them home. I think the RIR pullet is maturing the fastest. Honestly this far along her feather colors look exactly like a pic of a red star that I saw, but she didn't look like a red star chick, so I guess it's just wait to see what the finished product looks like. Or maybe she's mixed breed. Doesn't matter to me so long as she lays good eggs [​IMG]

This was them on their 10th day here. I think it's the most current pic I have, need to take some tonight!
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/marvinranch/Chickens/chicksday10003.jpg
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/marvinranch/Chickens/chicksday10001.jpg

OH! Mine kinda do look like yours.
    What is there temperament like?

My birds are outside. [​IMG]

We have a shed we are converting to a coop. The brooder area is built in. In the video it shows a couple of the RIRs coming back in from their run. I have temporary roosts made out of 2 X 3s on the floor right now. This weekend they will get proper roosts.
    Nest boxes I'm not worried about for a while.

The Younger chicks live in the brooder, I just bring them out of there to stretch their wings and see how they might get along with the RIRs.

10. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    A friend somewhere else suggested maybe a splash orpington.

Do you guys think that's a possibility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by