Everyone was posting pics of their betta - here's mine :-)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kelly G, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I didn't want to hi-jack anyone elses thread...so I thought I'd start another one.

This is my marine betta (part of the grouper family in marine ecosystems). I purchased him in 1997 and he was only about an inch long. He is now almost 8" and 13 years old (I guess he could be older....I don't know how old he was when I purchased him). I also don't really know if he's a male or a female, but we refer to him as a male.

He was with me before my husband and kids! He has moved with us 4 times (the last move was into his 110gal marine palace). He's the coolest fish...and he comes to the tank anytime I approach - even though he knows feeding time is 6pm sharp (he waits at the corner of the glass if I'm late).

We know he can't live forever...but at 13, we don't know how much longer he can live! He will really be missed - who knew you could get so attached to a silly fish!

Anyway, here's Spot:
    [​IMG]

...and a couple of his tank-mates for good measure:
    [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Just beautiful!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] To think he's at least 13y/o! [​IMG] Love your tank, gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    BeautifuL!!

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    awesome... I have always wanted marine fish... just can't afford them and afraid to even try with the upkeep....

5. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Beautiful tank (and beautiful fish!)

I got super attached to an old blue betta we used to have..."Jaws". When he finally passed after 5 years I buried him in his own little padded casket at the base of a sapling pine tree in the woods, bawling like the strange little girl I was.

Fish can be great pets!

6. Kelly G

Thanks, guys!!! I appreciate the kind comments.

Saltwater isn't as hard/much work as everyone thinks, but there is a learning curve in the begining! The thing that requires the big commitment is adhering to consistant water changes...it's the BIG imperative in marine aquariums.

Thanks, again!

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oh this makes me miss my salt water tank soooo bad! Spot is stunning, as is your tank! You obviously have the touch. I've had three fish in my life that I grew attached to and had for years. My favorite was a wolf eel so originally named Wolfie. He would come to the top of the tank, stick his head out of the water and take fishsketti from my hand. *fishketti is a name I made for the long tubeshaped pellets he ate* Fish can be loveable too yes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. Kelly G

Quote:LOL fishketti! That's funny!!! I had a couple of eels (ghost ribbon and zebra) - and I REALLY miss them, too! It's just that in this tank they were always knocking everything over. I never had a problem with them in my smaller 50gal tank, but this one brought out the "party" in them! When they finally ended up in the sump, I took them to the fish store...like I said, I still miss them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by