1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EVERYONE WHO OWNS CHICKENS SHOULD READ THIS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jgcalifornia, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I was lucky enough to participate in a study over the summer to help continue the research for non-toxic and natural solutions to lice and mites.
    UC Riverside finally released their findings and have written a short communication.
    Hopefully these detailed images will help everyone to properly identify your chickens lice and/or mite issues.

There is a brief write up here and here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

I really don't like how this is from just one part of California, as things may vary state to state.

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    @jgcalifornia, thanks for posting that!

-Kathy

4. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Things have to start somewhere.

This study was done because of the increase in backyard chicken's in California. Thus, the department responded to what they had been hearing and seeing.

Write a letter or contact a local research department in your town and ask them to do a study.

5. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

My area wouldn't be the best to study, we are on an island.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    We have 600 people in our town. Two stoplights in our entire county - not community - county. I am the research department in Cowley! [​IMG] But I am glad you posted this - it will help a lot of people.

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Gosh Blooie, did the make the film "Deliverance" in your place? [​IMG] - Banjo players - never trust 'em i say [​IMG]

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by