Everyones favorite help topic, poop! Could this be cocci? Help please!

Beastie

Songster
7 Years
Mar 11, 2014
So the past two days I have found 2 or 3 poops that have a bit of blood in them. I'm not sure which chickens they are from but yesterday my Egyptian Fayoumi was pretty listless, however today she is back to being full of piss and vinegar. She is three months old so I thought maybe she is laying around more because she is getting close to egg laying age (4.5-5 months in Fayoumis) my little roo stayed by her side pretty much all day but unlike her he got up and raced over for treats. She really seems to be back to herself today so I would just write it off if it weren't for the couple of poops containing blood. I think they either belong to her or the new chicken I introduced last week. Everybody else is acting fine and seems to have normal poops, except the new girl had at least one cecal poop that looked frothy/foamy. I am paranoid and don't want to lose any of my birds. Would treating for cocci with corrid do any harm if it isn't cocci? Should i worry about other parasites because of the frothy poo? Also I thought about having a vet do a fecal but apparently none of the vets nearest to me (closest is 30min) will even consider doing a fecal float for a chicken.From yesterday.
From today

Same poo, different angle.

My girl was feeling better today.

That first poop doesn't look bloody at all from your photo. And in the second photo--since cocci (and the blood-in-the-poop symptom that goes with it) is much more common in younger birds, I'm going to say that that is redder-than-usual shed intestinal lining, and NOT cocci
smile.png
In my experienced, treating with Corid doesn't do any harm, except I prefer to discard the eggs for a few days afterwards, even though multiple places on BYC will tell you that there is no withdrawal time.

If you've been seeing a pretty foamy cecal poop, that might mean that there is some sort of respiratory illness going around your flock. Since you've recently introduced a new chicken to the flock, this could definitely be the case. I'd keep an eye on them for other signs of a respiratory illness.

If that came out of one of mine more than once I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid at the .024% level *and* de-worm aggressively with Safeguard.

-Kathy

The key phrase is that you introduced a new chicken last week, which can expose either newbies or oldies to a new strain of cocci that they are not yet immune to. I agree with Casportpony, if I saw that blood in any poop, I would treat all with 5 days of Corid, Ampromed, or Amprol.

Mine aren't laying age yet so no eggs to discard. I think I am going to go ahead and do Corrid, it won't be too hard on the birds to do both the Corrid and a broad spectrum dewormer at the same time? I don't see any respiratory symptoms at all and I read that foamy Cecal can be a symptom of parasites.

Mine aren't laying age yet so no eggs to discard. I think I am going to go ahead and do Corrid, it won't be too hard on the birds to do both the Corrid and a broad spectrum dewormer at the same time? I don't see any respiratory symptoms at all and I read that foamy Cecal can be a symptom of parasites.
I have done both Corid and Safeguard *many* times.

-Kathy

Hopefully my feedstore has these things. I am at the very least going to do Corrid because cocci is what I am most worried about. I may go ahead and do both for good measure, especially since they aren't laying yet. One of the main reasons for getting chickens was to avoid all of the crap that gets pumped into production birds. :/ I also put down a droppings board and made sure I knew which birds were where for the most part. Hopefully I won't see anymore issues. *sigh*

Last edited:
Corid will be in the cattle section, Safeguard liquid in goat/cattle section and Safeguard Paste is in the horse section. Paste or liquid, you give the same amount. I give .5ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg) orally and lately I've been giving it 3-5 days in a row if I suspect capillary worms. The direction on the wormers are cattle, goats or horses and they get much less than poultry, 5 mg/kg, 5 mg/kg and 5 to 10 mg/kg respectively.

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

-Kathy

Also, all of my birds were vaccinated against cocci and mareks, what are the chances of them contracting it even though they were vaccinated? MMM website says the vaccine provides long lasting immunity.

Back
Top Bottom