Everyone's picking on one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mulemom, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi folks, I just posted in the Buy-Sell-Trade section, but thought I might get some advice here. Buttercup is the only survivor of last spring's brood. I put her in with the others when she was about the same size, but she has been picked on her whole life out there. She is the only BO in a flock of RIR's BR's and BA's. (Do they hate her because she is a beautiful blonde?) She will not leave the coop. She stays in all day long. The only way she will come out is if I open the big "people door" when I let them free range, but even then sometimes I have to pick her up and carry her out.

I think she may do better in a flock of this years chicks or maybe a flock of bantams?

Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    They might dislike her because of that, when that happened with my neighbors they separated her from the flock. Now she is living the good life with the whole yard to forage on because, she actually knows her boundaries.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I had a problem with the EEs that were in one of my coops. They would spend all of their time in the coop and on the roost, while all the others were outside. Turns out it was a rooster that was preventing them from getting out with the others. A stalker! As soon as one would get off the roost, the rooster would be on her in a second. He was not the dominate rooster and not very good at what he was doing. As soon as we "took care" of the rooster, they started leaving the coop with the other hens.

4. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    azelgin, Nice looking mules!I have three also!

It's not the roo, because he is the latest to be aquired (rescued from the SPCA actually). I've seen the hens picking on her.

5. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have one BA hen picking on 4 other hens. I thought for the last week that it was probably her but today I finally got confirmation. She pecked 3 of the others in the space of 20 minutes. I separated her to a dog crate in the garage and will leave her there until tomorrow. Then I will try to introduce her to the flock again. Hopefully this will help with the picking. We have had a lot of snow here this winter and they do not like it. I am hoping that boredom is the problem and maybe a protein deficiency. I have been feeding BOSS and kitten chow to up the protein and veggies.

6. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Quote:I have had a problem also. Could you tell me what BOSS is?

Mulemon, unfortunately if they are picking on the one BO it may not end. With me they were picking on the EE and it got worse. They started with the beard and feathers then hit skin and kept going. I just posted another thread on here when I panicked and found her with a hole in her back. Sorry to sound like a downer but picking on one can get pretty bad. I never knew it could get this bad so I would keep a real close eye on that poor beautiful blonde.

7. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - BOSS

Find them usually in the bird seed supplies.

8. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    We put her back in yesterday and so far it seems to have given her an ego check. I have checked on them a few times and she is not as pushy as before. This morning I have given them some wet cat food (they devoured it), dry cat food (same thing), BOSS and broccoli. I think they are missing those buggies that they eat all summer and hopefully this will curb their carnivorous appetite until the snow melts!

9. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - BOSS

Find them usually in the bird seed supplies.

OHHH Ok I have those! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by