Everything I need? Minus the chicks of course.

SouthernBornOUFan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
OKC
I just wanted to head out sometime this weekend and pick up supplies. I have a very helpful and kind local person I will be buying a handful of baby peeps from in mid Feb. This is my 1st flock so I wanted to get a big ol "To Buy List" before they arrive.

This is what I have so far:

Water Bowl (Any suggestions on this one? I would prefer something safe and easy to clean)
Feed Bowl (Same as above ^)
Bedding - I was going to buy Cedar as I like how it keeps bugs away

Any suggestions on type of feed - for baby and adult?
Do I need to buy a salt tablet?
Any meds I should start out with right away?
What about a bucket of sand for dusting?

Basically they will be spoiled rotten so anything that makes them extra happy I will pick up.

The Coop I have covered as well. The house I'm moving into has a 16x20 out building (the ones you can buy built and put on your land) and I will section if off inside for them and chicken storage (for food etc)...then a run connected.

Anything I'm over looking? I'm sure the person I'm buying from will give me a good crash course...but more opioions the better in my mind.

Quote:
See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.

I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

Quote:
Other than that the only thing I can think of is a heat lamp and some type of brooder for the first month and a half or so. Just have fun and enjoy them and if you have questions come back we're here to help.

Last edited:
If these are day old chicks you're getting you will need to dip their beak/face in their water when you put them in their new home this teachs them what water is and where to find it. Thought I would just add that tip.

Quote:
See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.
I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

Rurak King has it on sale this week for $3.99. I have two in my shed just waiting.

Back
Top Bottom