1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everything I need? Minus the chicks of course.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SouthernBornOUFan, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    I just wanted to head out sometime this weekend and pick up supplies. I have a very helpful and kind local person I will be buying a handful of baby peeps from in mid Feb. This is my 1st flock so I wanted to get a big ol "To Buy List" before they arrive.

This is what I have so far:

Water Bowl (Any suggestions on this one? I would prefer something safe and easy to clean)
    Feed Bowl (Same as above ^)
    Bedding - I was going to buy Cedar as I like how it keeps bugs away

Any suggestions on type of feed - for baby and adult?
    Do I need to buy a salt tablet?
    Any meds I should start out with right away?
    What about a bucket of sand for dusting?

Basically they will be spoiled rotten so anything that makes them extra happy I will pick up.

The Coop I have covered as well. The house I'm moving into has a 16x20 out building (the ones you can buy built and put on your land) and I will section if off inside for them and chicken storage (for food etc)...then a run connected.

Anything I'm over looking? I'm sure the person I'm buying from will give me a good crash course...but more opioions the better in my mind.

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Dont use cedar its poisonous to chicks. Use pine

3. SouthernBornOUFan

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Quote:See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.

I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:

5. SouthernBornOUFan

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Quote:
    The building I'm using has an AC/Heater window unit. They will surely be enjoying that. LOL.

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Quote:Other than that the only thing I can think of is a heat lamp and some type of brooder for the first month and a half or so. Just have fun and enjoy them and if you have questions come back we're here to help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Make sure the waterer is drown-proof or add marbles or use a rabbit water bottle. Pick up a feather duster to hang from the top of the brooder as a "Mama." Have fun!!!!!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You'll need a heat lamp for them for the first several weeks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    If these are day old chicks you're getting you will need to dip their beak/face in their water when you put them in their new home this teachs them what water is and where to find it. Thought I would just add that tip.

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.
    I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

Rurak King has it on sale this week for $3.99. I have two in my shed just waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by