Everything I need? Minus the chicks of course.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SouthernBornOUFan, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    I just wanted to head out sometime this weekend and pick up supplies. I have a very helpful and kind local person I will be buying a handful of baby peeps from in mid Feb. This is my 1st flock so I wanted to get a big ol "To Buy List" before they arrive.

This is what I have so far:

Water Bowl (Any suggestions on this one? I would prefer something safe and easy to clean)
    Feed Bowl (Same as above ^)
    Bedding - I was going to buy Cedar as I like how it keeps bugs away

Any suggestions on type of feed - for baby and adult?
    Do I need to buy a salt tablet?
    Any meds I should start out with right away?
    What about a bucket of sand for dusting?

Basically they will be spoiled rotten so anything that makes them extra happy I will pick up.

The Coop I have covered as well. The house I'm moving into has a 16x20 out building (the ones you can buy built and put on your land) and I will section if off inside for them and chicken storage (for food etc)...then a run connected.

Anything I'm over looking? I'm sure the person I'm buying from will give me a good crash course...but more opioions the better in my mind.

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Dont use cedar its poisonous to chicks. Use pine

3. SouthernBornOUFan

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Quote:See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.

I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:

5. SouthernBornOUFan

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Quote:
    The building I'm using has an AC/Heater window unit. They will surely be enjoying that. LOL.

6. rittert3

rittert3 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Quote:Other than that the only thing I can think of is a heat lamp and some type of brooder for the first month and a half or so. Just have fun and enjoy them and if you have questions come back we're here to help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Make sure the waterer is drown-proof or add marbles or use a rabbit water bottle. Pick up a feather duster to hang from the top of the brooder as a "Mama." Have fun!!!!!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You'll need a heat lamp for them for the first several weeks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. rittert3

rittert3 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    If these are day old chicks you're getting you will need to dip their beak/face in their water when you put them in their new home this teachs them what water is and where to find it. Thought I would just add that tip.

10. Quote:See....this is why I post questions. Anyone want to hold my hand until I become a better chicken owner? LOL.
    I will buy pine. Thank you so much.

Rurak King has it on sale this week for $3.99. I have two in my shed just waiting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by