Everything Mealworm; starting a new farm for winter feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pdavin, Nov 16, 2016.

1. pdavin

pdavin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Good day all. We are graced with another sunny 55++ degree day so I've got to head out but... I am moving my worms/beatles/pupa/eggs from a bucket in the kitchen to a bonafide high production area (large aquarium) in my basement. One bit of info that I need is the minimum temp. How cold is too cold? My basement never approaches freezing and if to guess probably never below 55F. Any info would be much appreciated. Well the sun is beckoning here in SW pa. Have a good one!

2. pdavin

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Well I found one link that calls out 80F "ideally" or room temp ok. I have my bucket in the kitchen and our house is never 80F summer or winter so I am going with room temp.

3. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego

I raise mealworms and when it gets below 60, I pit a seed heating mat under or around my set-up. You'll want to keep things well above 70 degrees for maximum production. [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your worms will go dormant below 65F. If you want to see a good pace of morphing, you need to keep them around 80F. Even as it gets down toward 70, the larvae will "stall", and you won't see much pupating. And when they get into the pupa stage, you need to keep them close to 80F or they will dry out and die before they can morph into beetles.

5. pdavin

Jan 26, 2010
    Waynesburg, PA
    Thanks for the info. I can rig up some bottom heat. I see some changing but they are kinda lethargic.

6. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    I have some fluorescent plant lights that hang which I use all winter. I keep my plastic boxes sitting on them to up the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by