1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everything upside down in my coop. Terrible situation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by notiones, Mar 10, 2012.

1. notiones

notiones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    We had our dominant rooster for dinner last week because he was tearing up the backs on a couple hens. He was twice their size so it seemed like a good solution to the problem. Unfortunately we have made it much worse. The rooster kept peace within the flock and with him gone all hell has broken loose. The remaining young rooster is terrorizing the hens and the hens are fighting amongst themselves for pecking order. There are feathers everywhere and one poor hen is just about done for. I have temporarily moved the rooster out but i have twelve more chicks that will need the extra coop soon. I don't have enough room to segregate everyone. Ideas? Should we have the last rooster for dinner or put him back and remove the two most injured?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    My guess is remove the two most injured, put the rooster back, and let them sleep it off. Give them some extra places for individuals to hide, roosts that only hold one or things they can hide under so the ones lower on the pecking order can get some safe hiding places. If you protect the weakest it might sort out in a day or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by