Everything was fine before I added some color!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RyanFunFarm, Mar 12, 2013.

1. RyanFunFarm

RyanFunFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Our Easter Egger chicks are doing great! 4wks now and everything has gone great- eating, drinking, temp, feathering!

Then I replaced their 1qt waterer with the purple model. Exact same waterer model, same size, ect. Only difference is the purple base. Within 3hrs the brooder was a splashpad :-( all chickies seem fine and I assumed the purple model was leaky. I immediately removed it and put back the original red model. Flooded brooder again! Ive leak tested both waterers now & neither have leaks.

I am assuming I have a mischevious chick who is somehow dumping water without knocking over the waterer.

Anyone else go through this? Advice please!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Is the waterer directly on the floor? If so I would hang it or raise it up on something like a brick or paver so it is slightly higher. It will help them from kicking dirt and bedding in and splashing around so much.

3. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any advice, I'd like some to but my EE chicks around the same age also think they are ducks I guess. Those 2 little imps know how to splash the water out!

4. RyanFunFarm

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA
    Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. Originally it was on the floor, both models throughout this whole 'issue'

When the original red waterer got the brooder wet; after the purple fiasco- I elevated it on top of a small wire treat feeder cube. Prolly less than 2in off the floor now. And still its been dumped.

Yes I think high hanging might be all Im left to do next. I do have the lg hanging gallon feeder n waterers ready to go. Just thought itd be alil later

5. RyanFunFarm

Mar 12, 2013
    New England, USA

Thanks for responding- I do appreciate it! I have 3 lil imps and might I say one (Gronk!) is and always has been a water baby! Since day1 he was sitting in the water bowl, tho he stopped once we got standard water founts (day3). I swear something abt the purple color invoked his silly disobedience!

Just kidding, of course

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by