Everything's coming up Chickens! Now with gallery link.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by risurocket, Jul 26, 2008.

1. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I think I am going into true obsession mode or maybe just insanity. I don't even have chickens yet, but the preparation process has apparently been very intense. Just the other day I was looking at my cats and thought "Chicken" - I seriously thought that my large orange tabby cat looked like a rooster for about 30 seconds, until he moved...

And now that I think about it, we have always referred to my female tabby as the "chicken cat" because of some of the positions that she chooses for sitting or laying over your knee...what can I say, she has chicken elbows...and both cats are very similar in color to a Buff Orpington...and...

It's not just my cats! The word chicken has been sneaking into my thoughts and my dreams, and my conversations will automatically switch to chickens in the middle of a different conversation....Ahhhhh! I have chicken mania! (and secretly loving it! [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Wooo whatcha doing to prepare? Me? I just bought mine from a foreigner and prepared later. I sooo need to show off my chicken poop coop. It's certainly is not hurricane proof or anything haha. But it does have a swinging door. Quite an accomplishment for me.

3. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    The main preparations have been reading BYC, Hobby Farm's Chicken edition, Backyard Poultry magazine, planning chicken tractors and remodeling the chicken coop, which was a coop in a previous life. Fortunately, our landlord has most of the materials we need on hand and has been really helpful.

Then deciding on what kind of chickens to get, until we found a free source for laying hens, which hopefully will still work out...and talking A LOT about chickens and what we want to do for and with them.

My DH has been working really hard on the coop part and I am just waiting for my turn to do something with that end of things. I will try to take some pictures asap! [​IMG]

We just found out today that we have the opportunity to take over my landlord's organic vegetable gardens as well. [​IMG] This is the kind of thing I have been waiting for for a long long time. [​IMG]

4. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    We weren't planning on getting chickens until NEXT year, but...

My husband told me I was talking in my sleep about chickens and a few days later I sat straight up in bed one morning exclaiming "Did you hear that? That was a rooster! How did a rooster get in our house?"

Apparently, I was still dreaming.

After that episode, my husband insisted we get chickens THIS season before I go completely insane. They are now 14 weeks old! Woo!

So yeah, I know the feeling. It's the hallucinating chickens part that makes you realize you have gone over the edge.

5. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:I love seeing other peoples property.

We just found out today that we have the opportunity to take over my landlord's organic vegetable gardens as well. [​IMG] This is the kind of thing I have been waiting for for a long long time. [​IMG]

WOW! How big is it. Oh, don't forget the pic thing [​IMG] Sounds like such a bonus. What kind of things are growing? Heya are you on the easygarden forum by chance?​

6. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am on Easygarden...but I am just starting out in the whole garden thing. I am kind of more of an animal person...but we are still considered in the city limits so I have to try not to go too far overboard.

The gardens are pretty big, and the guy is like superman, he does it all himself and he's 78! I would have helped out more this year, but we just moved here and I didn't really know where my boundaries were. Now the chickens were the icebreakers and things are starting to happen! [​IMG] I will do pics as soon as I pry the camera away from DH. (translates to find camera and make sure he hooks it up to his computer...) I have to do Madison, WI Coop tour pics too....

7. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:*sigh of relief* I am so glad to know I am not alone! [​IMG] Now if my cats start getting feathers, I am really going to start to worry. Oh and my pet rats started reminding me of chickens too. They kind of eat the same stuff. (yup, lost it.... I see the ground coming up to meet me as I fall over that edge)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  8. risurocket

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Anyone interested in pics can now check out my website. It's the HMS Coop set of pics.
    <---
    (Moved coop subject to Coops area, hopefully will add pics of chickens soon to the gallery)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by