1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Everythings ok now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rebecca10782, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    We were at the feed store today and I saw an incredibly tiny bantam. I noticed that her toe was missing, I thought that it was chopped off by accident or something. She also had what I thought was mud our poop on her foot. So, of course I fell in love with her and bought her and another bantam. They both have lost their egg teeth and have some feathers on their wings so they seem to be a few days old at least. Anyway, I have noticed that the smaller baby with the missing toe has been very very sleepy and then I realized that the same toe on the other foot is missing. I looked at her feet and she has what I realize now are little scabs on the bottom of her feet pads and at the end of each toe that has fallen of! So clearly she has gangrene or a disease. I am very conserned about her and will take her to the vet tommorow but does anybody have any idea what this could be???

Well I took a closer look and it was very very stinky diarea all over her foot. I t took awhile to get off with warm water. It really upset her [​IMG] It looks like just the nails fell over, probably got infected. So I am sure she will be fine now [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    it could be improper incubation as well... I had chicks hatch with not fully developed feet.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    So glad you came along to help the poor little thing. I hope she lives a long, happy life!

4. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    yes i too hope she gets better in your care, thanks for giving her a loving home and good luck

5. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Well, this morning she is much feistier. I am sure it was all the stress of yesterday that made her so tired. Her poor little feet are all clean now [​IMG] I never thought that poop sitting on their feet would case an infection, but it makes sense. Luckily there are no open sores or anything. I wonder if her nails will grow back =/
    I can't believe how cute these little guys are. I have had day old babies and they were much bigger than these guys are at about a week. I think I might name the tiny one peanut, because she is not much bigger than one [​IMG] and she is yellow [​IMG] Now I just have to figure out what they are. My best guess is that they are Sabelpoots.

6. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Here is a picture of one of her toes
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by