1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Evicted

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sherry, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I finally did it. I evicted my 6 (4 hens2 roos) from my house into their house. They are 7 weeks old today and fully feathered. I put up a heat lamp with 250w infrared bulb. It's 32 degrees outside temp and inside is between 40-45 degrees. When I checked them last night they roosted almost above the lamp but really close together. This morning when I checked all were scattered on the floor happily pecking and scratching. They certainly seem to be adapting better than I am. [​IMG]

One interesting thing I noticed, when they were in the crate i the house, everytime I went in to them they ran away screaming, when I went into their house, they ran toward me as if they were welcoming me to their home.

They now have lots of room and are and are taking every advantage to spread their wings! They are even making "big girl" noises instead of just peeps.

2. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    Great! sounds like everything is working out nicely for you and your used to be babies![​IMG]

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It's so hard, isn't it, to kick out such young innocents into the cold cruel world. I know it is for me. And then the house seems way too quiet without the sound of peeping......

4. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I do hope so.

I had a friend help me move them yesterday and then we sat in the barn for an hour or so to watch. I stayed until I was certain they had found the food and water. Anyway, my friend has never been around chickens. After about a half an hour she turns to me and says "they're just fascinating".[​IMG]

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hi Sherry! Congrats on kicking the kids out!! [​IMG]
    I've been threatening to do the same for so long, and its finally happening TODAY !! [​IMG]
    Of course, I just picked up a bunch of three-day olds and am about to go through this again... [​IMG] Except that now that the weather is going to cooperate [​IMG] they won't be indoors for as long! Feathers=Out! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I'd been trying to kick them out for a week. About midnight last night my friend says "let's just go bring 'em back in". I told her wrong thing to say, you're supposed to help me keep them out there!

7. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Well, you're an empty nester now! They are going to be just fine. Mine went out on Tues, at 5 weeks. I had planned to wait another week or two but just couldn't take it any more--waterer and feeder turner over a couple of times a day and everyone flying all over the place (in the brooder that is). It's been cold here at night and not great during the day but they are fine. They don't even want to spend time under the heat lamp--just rest in that area on and off. On to the next phase...

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Well, there's only one cure for Empty Nest! Fill it up again! Time to order chicks or fire up the bator!!

9. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    My husband told me a few years ago, if I brought home another animal he'd leave me. That was 2 dogs, a parrot and 6 chickens ago. [​IMG]

My chicks are very happy in their own house. Didn't want anything to do with me in my house, they keep untying my shoes when I visit theirs.

I'll feel much better when the weather stays warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by