Evicting one's own mother? (Warning, rant enclosed)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Feb 17, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Few things make me angrier than elder abuse. (Child abuse, rape, unnecessary animal cruelty, blatant prejudice against racial/ethnic/religious groups are also appalling to me)

What has happened that elders are not being respected? Unless one's parent's were/are abusive, I find it abhorrent to stick one's parents in a nursing home or throw them out when they become inconvenient. (I do not mean those who had a genuine medical, physical/mental health/ financial reason that makes one unable to properly care for their parents and thus needing to take such drastic measures)

These are our parents. The people who gave us life. These are our elders who have a wealth of wisdom to give.

I could never live with myself if I turned my parents out, even when I am at my angriest or when we truly disagree.

Why am I ranting? Here is why.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfield_cty/98-yr-old-woman-evicted-by-her-son?hpt=us_bn4

98-yr-old woman evicted by her son

Updated: Friday, 17 Feb 2012, 12:02 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 16 Feb 2012, 10:13 PM EST

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) - A 98-year-old woman has been given an eviction notice from the home she has lived in for decades. The notice came from one of her sons.
    "I didn't think he would do it," said Mary Kantorowskisaid. Kantorowski got the eviction notice from her eldest son Peter, who she hasn't seen in months, on her birthday.
    • Read more about Mary's plight at CTPost.com , which first reported the story.
    News 8 was invited into the Bridgeport home where Mary made a life with her late husband John. Together they raised two sons, and now have two great grandchildren.
    Her son Jack is appalled by his older brother's actions.
    "I just don't understand him at all, what's happening with him, there are no other words to call him, he's just a scumbag," said Jack.

Jack said he lives nearby and checks on his mother almost everyday. There are also neighbors, friends and a visiting nurse from Bridgeport Hospital.

The courts are now involved, an evaluation was done, and Mary was deemed competent. The judge assigned Attorney Richard Bortolot as a voluntary conservator.

"I've been practicing a long time, and I've seen a lot of nasty things and this is, you know, he's really made the top ten list," said Bortolot.

Officials documents prove that Mary still pays all of her bills with her Social Security money, but the house is under her son Peter's name. He had his parent's sign it over to him years ago. News 8 found Peter at his home in Trumbull.

"I don't like the way she's living over there," said Peter.

Peter hasn't actually seen his mother in eight months, but said she has fallen a few times, and he's worried about her safety and security.

With claims that Peter is worried about the security of his mother, some would wonder why he hasn't paid her a visit in eight months.

"Well, I can't get in to the house, I don't have the key," said Peter.

He said his mother belongs in a nursing home.

"At her age, at 98, I'm sure that she should be with people of her peers, she should have her meals on time," said Peter.

He has not made an attempt to find a nursing home for his mother, but he did say she could live with him.

"I'm not throwing her on the street," said Peter.

It is a family feud that will be taken to court on March 2nd.

"My family's all here, my family's all here," said Mary. "Well I'm all settled here, so you know I've got my friends."

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This makes me sick!!!!!!!! Her son is a no good ba^&*(d!
    I swear if she doesnt win... gaaah! :barnie
    How can we follow this story?

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I did leave a link to the site that posted it but other than that I have no ideas

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

He's all that and more. He hasn't seen his mother in 8 months, and "he's worried about the way she's living over there." He lives 20 minutes away. He either has or tried to put the house up for sale for $330,000 - pretty evident what is going on.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay, so he's 71. Wonder how long before his kids decide he's in the way and want him in a nursing home so they can sell off his assets?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh, one can only hope that karma will strike.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

Yep..

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Could be that he's the one with dementia, and reduced capacity. Just saying that guys don't generally last as long as gals, and he might already be on his way out.

JERK!

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I read that story yesterday, I thought that it said the house was under both sons names but one quit claimed it to himself. I would like to know who thought that was an okay way to transfer title.

I hope that the day after Mom passes in her sleep in her own bed in her own home, that the older brothers kids put him in a nursing home!

My 88, her house is not great and needs work. And I work hard to make sure she can stay in her house and when the time comes that I will be the one that moves in and helps her so she can stay in her house and hopefully that some day long off, passes in her sleep in her own bed. I can not imagine sending her an eviction notice for a birthday gift and sending her off to a nursing home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by