Evil Afoot In the Woods... Chickens Freak Out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Aug 17, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

After I let the chickens out into their respective pens and went inside, they start cackling and screaming and all three pens were making the biggest ruckus looking off toward the woods; even Hawkeye was cackling so I knew it was something on the ground not in the air. They quit for a few minutes then started up again. This time I went out to see what was trying to get my chickens. I get almost out to the far garden and I see it, the scary creature they were all freaking out about. It's one of the
    biggest...scariest...most evil things a chicken can dream up.............

WHITETAIL DOE

Granted it was a BIG one, but geez, a chicken-eating doe, LOL. At least they apparently thought so​

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Too funny... hmmm... well I hope that deer dont eat chickens cause I would be in alot of trouble! But, you know, my chickens act the same way when a deer comes bebopping by our house and their coop too. It just makes you wonder what they see. [​IMG]

Tes

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I went out to let the girls out one morning and my roo was already out of his house staring out into the woods. He was frozen with fear. When I got closer to the chicken yard and saw the biggest whitetailed buck I'd ever seen. You gotta watch those deer, they're vicious creatures.

4. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    My chickens walk all around and practically under the deer, they act like they are pet goats instead of wild animals! I have been afraid the deer would kick them accidentally. Perhaps it is because we have so very many deer..... We saw the first of this years fawns nursing day-before-yesterday, so cute.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As many as we have on our property, you'd think they'd be used to them by now. For three years in a row, I had one particular doe bring her new twin fawns up to hang around my clearing. They are gorgeous, but they are not helping my tick situation this year.

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys crack me up.

7. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Those are great pics![​IMG]

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
  9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Blacktail deer. They are a smaller breed than yours, I think, but I had no idea they were that much smaller! Those Whitetail are massive.

The big deer in CA are the Muledeer, I believe.

10. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Ohhh I love the pictures, had to run and grab my 14yr old son to come see the picture... He is big into hunting and he also loves to sit and watch the deer... the other night we sat and watched a momma, daddy and a set of twins at the bottom of our hill... he thought it was neat... never seen anything like it. Can I please copy the picture to print out for his wall.

Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by