Evil barred rocks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mydog8it, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    I have some 3-4 week old barred rocks, EEs and a red chick. They've all been raised together and handled daily since they were a few days old, and are all supposed to be girls. The EEs and the red are as sweet as can be, but the two barred rocks attack me every time I go near them. They latch onto my fingers or pinch the skin on my knuckles or between my fingers REALLY hard and it's starting to hurt!!

Are all barred rocks this evil or is it just mine? What should I do? I've tried gently "pecking" them on the back when they bite me, but they don't care and just keep coming back at me.

2. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    I have 2 barred rocks and mine are sweet as can be.[​IMG]

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Have to admit of our hens, the EE's are really sweet, and the BR is pretty ornery.

4. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Yikes! Mine have been nice. Easy to tame also. They do tend to bite when I reach under them for eggs though. Maybe squirting them with water would help. If you decide to keep them, that is.

5. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    My br's are sweet, calm, good to know chickens TO people, now birds get in their yard, they will hunt to kill, just birds, maybe once a week they will be out in the yard with their catch. First time it happened I couldn't believe it. My daughter (4) calls them Evil Divas.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My BR is a sweety. Not a cuddle bug, but a sweetie.

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Funny thing was as chicks my barred rock was a hard biter, and her australorp buddy was extremely calm and tame. Now the australorp bites hard on treats, and the BR is a sweetheart. things can change as they grow. Hold out tidbits, and if they get your finger yelp loudly and jerk the food back. They'll get the idea.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My BR is the only one of our flock that doesn't "take nice." She tries to take a piece of skin with whatever treat I try to give her! [​IMG] She's pretty, and gets along with the other chickens. She might just be going through that "teenager" stage since she is only 15 weeks old. My son named her Professor McGonagall. We're keeping her even if she stays grumpy, just 'cause she's so pretty, and I might need at least one chicken with an attitude.

9. Shannoniganshens

Shannoniganshens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    West TX
    [​IMG] Mine will jump up for treats when you hold them out. Easiest of my chickens to catch,they don't give a workout.

10. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Quote:Wow. Might not be a bad thing, chasing off the wild critters.

Quote:Thank you for the suggestion. I will give that a try.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm hoping it's just a baby thing and that they'll grow out of it. One of them flew at me today and latched onto a button on my shirt which seemed like curiosity, maybe. But if they start pecking at the dog they'll have to go. The last thing we need is a huge vet bill from having a chicken peck the dog's eyeball or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by