Evil Cornish !

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Southerngirl, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    For the last 2 days some of our Jumbo Cornish X from MMH have started attacking our rubber boots or trying to peck us. :eek: They are 4 weeks old tomorrow. I told my DH I am going to keep a permanent marker in the barn and start marking them #1, #2, etc. as to who is first in the slaughter line!! This is the first time that we have raised broilers. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this with this breed. They are all roosters too so I am sure that is probably part of it. At least we can outrun them ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2008
    They desire to eat beyond compare. They will stop at nothing for food. They associate your arrival with food. If you aren't bringing food, they just assume you are it.

3. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    They desire to eat beyond compare. They will stop at nothing for food. They associate your arrival with food. If you aren't bringing food, they just assume you are it.

yup, but they really aren't mean natured. Mine follow me around all over the yard. That of course isn't because they love me so LOL, they know I'm the food lady!​

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine were very docile and sweet birds. I had 27 cockerals and never had any problems with their temperment.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Last year Cornish X that I had would occasionally peck at my feet and legs but I just assumed they were thinking of me as the food lady and just couldn't wait for me to feed them. They would do it a few times then move on, not being aggressive or mean though.
    [​IMG]

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We are still in shock how fast they are growing. I think they really think we are food !![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They grow extremely fast I slaughter mine after 8 weeks.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They are just tasting your boots... because you never know, they could be a meal. :eek:

9. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I found out one thing. NEVER go into a flock of chickens wearing shorts if you haven't shaved your legs in two weeks!

10. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by