Evil is still amongst us

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jun 23, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Evil is the wild, free ranging bunny that thinks he's a chicken.

I hadn't seen Evil in a couple of days and I was worried that he had become a snack for the mocassins we are having problems with right now. Yesterday evening I went out to the orchard to give the brahma girls some scratch grains. He comes Evil from around the west end of the coop. He hopped right into the middle of the flock and started eating, right along with the hens.

I'm not sure what's weirder - A rabbit that thinks he's a chicken or chickens that think a rabbit amongst them is normal. [​IMG]

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I have basically the same problem. A family of bunnies living under my deck, who squeeze into the goat pen regularly, where they just hop along, among the goats and chickens. Wish we could catch because I'm putting a garden in and I really don't want these hopalongs eating my greens!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Rabbits are a common sight at Dun Hagan. Especially this year when I see them every morning and afternoon in the broad daylight. We don't lack for raptors but for some reason they don't seem to be interested. I have so many bunnies because they eat the spilled corn the chickens leave behind as well as the lush grass resulting from the bird manure.

I once forgot to close up chicken tractor for which my subconscious kicked me awake from a sound sleep at two in the morning to go do it. I put on my trousers and boots, grabbed a flashlight and went out the door. The was a thick layer of ground mist about two feet deep, but the moon was shining brightly enough that I didn't need the flashlight. Crossed the pasture and rounded a range feeder I had set up in the middle of it. Thanks to the ground mist I did not see the rabbit that was eating out of the feeder so I stepped on him! He shot out from under my foot like a rocket which startled me so bad that I fell down knocking over the feeder (and landed in you know what of course).

I keep telling the local hawks they are not doing their jobs, but they don't care.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    A.T. Hagan :

Rabbits are a common sight at Dun Hagan. Especially this year when I see them every morning and afternoon in the broad daylight. We don't lack for raptors but for some reason they don't seem to be interested. I have so many bunnies because they eat the spilled corn the chickens leave behind as well as the lush grass resulting from the bird manure.

I once forgot to close up chicken tractor for which my subconscious kicked me awake from a sound sleep at two in the morning to go do it. I put on my trousers and boots, grabbed a flashlight and went out the door. The was a thick layer of ground mist about two feet deep, but the moon was shining brightly enough that I didn't need the flashlight. Crossed the pasture and rounded a range feeder I had set up in the middle of it. Thanks to the ground mist I did not see the rabbit that was eating out of the feeder so I stepped on him! He shot out from under my foot like a rocket which startled me so bad that I fell down knocking over the feeder (and landed in you know what of course).

I keep telling the local hawks they are not doing their jobs, but they don't care.

[​IMG]

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    A.T. Hagan :

Kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one...

My dog keeps all bunnies out of our yard.​

6. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:Kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one...

My dog keeps all bunnies out of our yard.

mmmm bunnies

I'm hungry now

7. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one...

My dog keeps all bunnies out of our yard.

mmmm bunnies

I'm hungry now

That's what Cody the dog says. [​IMG]

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:mmmm bunnies

I'm hungry now

That's what Cody the dog says. [​IMG]

rabbit is a darn tasty meat, especially when brined, or injected with butter and fried.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Evil will never be eaten; at least not by us. I saved his life once, when he drowned, the rest of his life is up to Mother Nature.

Funny story A.T. [​IMG]

10. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I love it when the wild ones tame a bit and come visiting...uhmmmm that is as long as they are not visiting my coop and eating my birds.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by