1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

evil neighbors~

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amydzek, Feb 1, 2011.

1. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    well we had to redo our coop and everything because one of our evil neighbors was SHOOTING bb's at my chickens when they were free to roam our backyard!! So now I have to keep them in their coop and their run all the time [​IMG] but the upside is that their new coop is so much bigger and nicer than before!! with 3 roosting poles and a nice recycling bed as a nesting box!!
    I do have a question though... should their nesting box be up high or towards the bottom of the coop in the darkest corner??I will try to post pics soon!

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What, isn't that against the law? [​IMG] [​IMG] Thats great their new coop is so large and nice, though. I hope you don't have anymore problems with said neighbor!!! [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Put the nest box 1 1/2 to 2 feet off of the ground, & take the neighbors BB gun, & plant it in their..... Hey, I see a chicken!

4. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    I have my nesting boxes about 14 inches off the floor.

I would keep an eye on the neighbors and not hesitate calling the cops next time it happens. [​IMG]

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Wow! Amazing! I feel for you, that's for sure. We have a similar problem: our new neighbors bring their dogs over to torture our chickens and miniature goats! In our fenced in back yard! Where they have to cross about 100' of our property to get to them.

I have to keep my chickens locked up tight, and soon we'll be redoing our coops too.

Be sure to post pix of the new coops.

6. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    call the police if someone is shooting on your land. if a bird was hit then call the rspcb or equivalent and get them prosecuted.

7. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Doubtful that will stop the kid, a call to the local SPCA humane officer should get the message across. If not and the kid does it again, walk over, take the bb gun and wrap it around a tree.

8. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    sadly we dont know which neighbor is doing it!!! we have called the police each time we find bbs in the yard! we have found over 4 dz bbs so far!! chickens havent been hurt so that was great! but I also have my dogs and my kids that play in the back yard!!

it sounds like I have the nesting box up way too high, its lik 31/2 ft off the ground...

9. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    agree with last post [​IMG] post #7

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  10. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    And I thought my neighbors were bad!!
    Did they kill any chickens? I can't find it now, but there is this article (from Mercola) about keeping chickens that mentions a $1000 federal fine for stealing or killing someone else's chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by