Evil Rooster Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alice80790, Nov 9, 2016.

1. alice80790

alice80790 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    aus
    Hi there,

Last year, I managed to hatch 17 chicks (8 purebreds and 9 mixed ). In the purebreds section I got a lovely rooster much like his father (calm and lets you approach him) his father died after a fox attack [​IMG]. The fox took most my purebred/mixed roosters ([​IMG]. Hey but least not the hens). So in the end i was left with only 3 roosters 2 mixed, 1 purebred.

Ace, my purebred I have notice has been getting beaten up by my 2 mixed. Even he tries to attack me. Ace is such a beautiful boy and i love him to bits can someone please help me. The only thing is I don't want to kill the mixed boys. I need help before Ace gets hurt badly.

BTW, Ace is a purebred Barnvelder.

Please help Ace before time runs out![​IMG]

2. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Separate them permanently, either in cages, getting them new homes or culling them.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^^

Multiple males can behave worse due to competition......
    ....remove(out of sight at least) all but one male and his behavior may improve.

If you are going to hatch, you are going to have to deal with the ~50% males the result.
    They are delicious on the grill before 16 weeks, full belly and more harmonious chicken yard.

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed. If you want to hatch eggs from Ace, get rid of the other 2 roos. Who did you say was trying to flog you? If it was Ace, he is not worthy as a flock master. IMO, a human aggressive roo should never be allowed to play in the gene pool. You can do some rooster dominance training, and might want to do so on which ever roo you intend to keep.

5. alice80790

alice80790 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    aus
    The biggest of the 2 mixed breeds. I am intending on keeping Ace. My problems are if im going to split them up I only have 1 other cage that can fit 1 rooster so if i [put ace in there the other 2 roosters will be able to run with my hens.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You say you don't want to kill the excess roosters. What are you plans for them, then? do you plan to keep them as pets for their natural lives? If so, sounds like you'll need a bachelor pad. Roosters live a good 4 years easily, so they'll need appropriate digs for a long time. So, sounds like time to start building, f that's the route you're going to go.

If you don't want to kill them yourself, feel free to try to sell them or give them away. No reason to keep them forever if they don't fit in with your needs.

1 person likes this.
  8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Why separate the one cockerel you want to keep, and let the other 2 range with the hens? I certainly would not let the one that has shown signs of human aggression free range. You may want to consider selling or giving away the 2 problem cockerels. Your flock would be much happier.

If you are absolutely set on keeping all 3 then you need to build a bachelor pad for the extra 2 mixed breeds. There really isn't an alternative. If you intend to hatch more in the future you will have to do something with the surplus cockerels anyway. If you have bachelor accommodations already built you will have a place to put them until you decide what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by