Evil rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenmapa, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chickenmapa

chickenmapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    I am new to keeping chickens and my Buff Orpington rooster is becoming evil! He is always pecking at my girls! Is there a way to stop this other then banishing him?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have never heard of a rooster picking on the girls. Usually it is hens on hens or even hens on roosters. You may have to remove this one or if pinless peepers will fit on his beak around his comb, you can use them to tame him down a bit.

Good luck with this wild roo and enjoy BYC!

3. chickenmapa

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you, I hadn't heard of anyone else with this problem. He picks on my silkie most of all and I would die if she got hurt! Guess it's a life of solitude for Mr. Carlos:(

4. [​IMG]
    He may just be trying to keep his girls all in one place and all. I would see if he stops after a few days, because chickens peck each other.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How old are all the chickens? How many hens/roosters do you have? Pecking order often changes as the chickens mature and adolescent roosters can be a real nuisance with chasing and trying to breed the girls, they usually do settle down as they get older, but you may have to limit the amount of time he spends with the girls for now if he is being a real idiot. Special breeds like silkies and polish also are sometimes a problem to keep with other breeds and may have to be kept separate....

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. chickenmapa

Feb 23, 2014
    My Buffs are about 7months I've been getting eggs for two or three months. I have 20 hens two bantams roosters and Carlos,( my buff) they don't fight much but I know I really should only have two,( ten hens to a rooster) but I'm having trouble bringing myself to give one up.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may have to keep Carlos away from your silkie. Silkies tend to be picked on because they look so much different than other breeds. A peck to the head can be very damaging or even deadly, since some have vaulted skulls that have not closed entirely.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

10. chickenmapa

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you! I am keeping him seperated until I can find him a new home. Or if it comes to it he may become dinner:( I can't risk him hurting somebody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by