1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

evil silkie egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1Chick Magnet, Jan 18, 2009.

1. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    what age did your silkies start laying eggs. i have two 5.5 mo old pullets and three 4.5 mo olds. wondering when i can expect the blessed event. i live in nh. would the cold delay egg laying?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Good question, I hav a silkie pullet that is 6 months old, but hasnt laid an egg yet.

I also need to know when can I expect an egg from her. I live in South Africa and its mid summer all my other hens are laying.Why not the silkie [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Just be patient! It is frustrating but they'll lay when they're good and ready.

Believe me, I know: my banty cochin is about 8 months old and has never laid an egg.

I thought my standards would never start, but eventually they did. I think the cochin is taking longer b/c of the winter light. She's not a production breed anyway.

She's sitting here on the couch next to me as I type this. Cutie pie! She weighs all of about 20 ounces.

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My silkies were over 6 months when they started to lay about 3 weeks ago . We have 3 hens and get 1 or 2 egss a day.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. leepshin

leepshin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:My Silkies started laying when they where 6 or 7 months old. I don't think the cold would delay egg laying.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I read that silkies are slow to mature, may not lay until 7 months old. Why do you say they are evil? Mine are sweeties!

7. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    ours started laying at 4 months. they are not evil though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by