Evil Wyandottes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by columbiacritter, Jul 12, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    We have 3 Silver laced Wyandottes in our flock we just call the Evil sisters. Introducing any new bird is a HUGE hassle because they gang up on her horribly. This weekend I let the new hen out of the meet and greet box and the Evil sisters immediately piled on her even though she's been in their run for over a week. It took 45 minutes before I could keep them from attacking enmasse. One on one skirmishes I just let happen so they can settle pecking order, but not a mob attack.

Later that afternoon my husband had his banties out ranging when I heard screaming and raced around the house to see one of the Wyandottes standing on a banty hen with both feet trying to peck her eye out I booted that Evil hen about eight feet. She was unhurt and later tried to get another banty before I could get them rounded up and back in their safe run.

I think it may be time to make Evil stew!

2. Maine-ly

Maine-ly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Evil stew sounds great. I wouldn't tolerate the constant threat to the other birds. I have two Silver Laced Wyandottes that are no problem with the other birds in the flock. I find that my comets and buffs are more into pecking then my wyandottes.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow! Isn't it nutso how some hens can be so mean?! Crazy! I'd make a nice evil chicken and dumpling soup! LOL

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Here's what I have done that has seemed to help when I remove the fence barrier between new birds.....I load the run with sweeties.....watermelon, cantelope, beet greens, maybe some scratch (depending on temp). It seems to distract the locals for a bit, gives the newbies a bit of a chance to settle in. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. jodief100

jodief100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    N Kentucky/Cincinnati
    I have the same problem with my Silver Laced Wyandottes. I don't think it's the breed but they are mean. They are also very hardy so I keep them around.

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    You can probably change flock dynamics by just getting rid of the ringleader of the evils. Other thoughts might be to separate the evil birds in their own fenced area.

I have one aggressive roo I'm planning on making chicken and dumplings with. I made some last night with one of my freezer camp birds and that was awesome. [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Oh there was luscious distractions, grapes, watermelon, bread chunks, they ignored it all to attack while every other bird just kept eating. I'm going to remove one of them to see if it calms down their group mind.

8. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Quote:x2

9. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same problem with my two hatchery Silver Laced Wyandotte hens. Nothing I tried worked, so I sold them. The remaining hens were so happy and peaceful after they were gone! [​IMG]

10. wingznut76

wingznut76 Out Of The Brooder

Makes me wonder...I have two columbian that are constantly chasing my 8 golden buffs out of the coop at dusk. Eventually they get in but not without some squabbling. Since none of them are laying yet and they are my wife's favorite I am keeping them. I hope they are worth the trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by