Eviscerated chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OKprairiegirll, Dec 19, 2013.

1. OKprairiegirll

OKprairiegirll Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I let my chickens out yesterday about 1pm. Most of the flock sticks together but one is crippled and she stays in or near the covered run all the time. When I went to put the hens up about 5pm, I found my little crippled one eviscerated right in front of the run. Feathers all around, poor baby ripped open with ropes of intestines pulled out. I live in a rural area and there are plenty of predators around but I have a good tight fence all around the property and few actually come into the yard on foot. A hawk or an owl would have taken her away I think. My neighbor has cats??? Does anybody have an idea about what got my hen?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Opossum aka possum. I know that it wasn't night or dark or anything like that, but then again I never saw a possum who was wearing a wristwatch.

3. OKprairiegirll

OKprairiegirll Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    You think? I did have an opossum inside the fence once a couple of years ago (that I actually saw) I am sure there have been a few others. I didn't even think of 'possums being predators. These are my first chickens EVER and I am learning as I go. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by