Eviscerating by cutting out backbone?

Evla2426

Hatching
May 27, 2022
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are about to slaughter our first round of meat birds and I'm trying to find a source outlining how to gut a chicken by basically spatchcocking it. I could swear I read a post/ article about it and saw pictures and it seemed so easy! We want them spatchcocked anyways so gutting them this way just seems to make sense to us!
Does anyone have any information about it? Because we haven't done it before, I don't really want to just jump in without seeing some pictures/ reading about it first.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks so much!

Thanks everyone!
We're going to butcher a few today and think we'll try it both ways (spatchcocking to gut and more traditional gutting methods) and see which works best for us.
Thanks again!

Recommendation. Use traditional butchering methods THEN spatchcock.
Why? because its much easier to remove the innards cleanly, following the edge of the body cavity, when you can see what you are doing. Pushing in a pair of poultry sheers and going snip snip snip thru the bones at the back is a great way to accidentally nip the intestines.

Obviously not fatal to your butchering efforts, just more cleaning, but still. Do not recommend.

Back
Top Bottom