Ew! Poop eater :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilstar, Apr 9, 2012.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I have a day old duckling (hatch disaster, only survivor. Will be buying some buddies for it tonight) and I decided to let it take its first swim today. I got a small cake pan filled with an inch or so of lukewarm water. I was prepared, I heard they poop the second they hit water! Dumped it and got fresh water. Seemed kinda freaked out at first, but after a couple minutes settled in, pecking at anything that looked "peckable" fleeting bubbles, specks of dust? haha. Then a smaller poop. Then it turned around and.. ooh! something to peck at! Eeeew! Will this hurt him? I have a kiddie pool for the yard and was planning on filling it in the morning, dumping it in the evening every day, (once they're bigger and outside full time) but now I'm skeeved at the thought of every swim=poop and a new exciting thing to peck at. Definitely can't dump that everytime someone poops :) My lawn would be a swamp!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Naw it won't hurt them, take some frozen peas cook till thawed then smash up a little, out a small amt in the tub or where ever you let them swim they will have a blast and you will laugh, after a couple weeks they can have them whole in their pool or tub or cake pan or what ever. Right now they have to try everything, and poop floating in the water is something to try.

3. lilstar

Apr 8, 2011
    Ooh that sounds fun! Will totally do the mashed peas, the kids will love watching that too!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pics would be nice too!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I invented a new word when the ducklings were little. Pleh. It was the word I used to tell them something was yucky. They did not care a bit!

I learned they can nibble at it, fling it, dance around in it . . . wonderful fertilizer, that stuff!

6. lilstar

Apr 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

The one on the right is my "lucky ducky" and the 2 rouens we just bought for some buddies. They're crazy. I caught them all together for a couple pics, but the rouens tore around the tub like they had motors on their butts! Luckyducky is so zen and mellow.

[​IMG]

See? Cuddly little ball of honeyfluff.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is so adorable, yes the humans too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by