Ewe taking too long to lamb? Can I get some advise? Semi-critical

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Riocotesei, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Hi, its me again, along with my 3 old ewe, Domino.
    This evening she had a lamb at 5:40ish
    I believe she has another baby in her, but its now 11pm and its only our second time we've had lambing.
    At this point should we be worried?
    She's walking around pawing the ground and making low "mehh" noises. She hasn't let the new baby eat either because shes unconfortable.
    My dad is suggesting sticking his hand in there and seeing if theres a baby in there, or if its breach or what. But I don't particularly like doing that esp. if it's unesessary.
    Can I have everyone opinions? What should I do?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If it has been 6 hours between lambing...I suggest an exam. Make sure there is or isnt another lamb in there. If not, you need to get that baby sucking SOON!If so...and its breach, you will have to help her out. If you are uncomfortable with doing this, I would call a vet...but SOON! Good luck with her..and let us know how it turns out!

3. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Thats what I was afriad of. [​IMG]

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Get the lube out, glove up and get in there ASAP. Let us know how it goes.

ETA: Can you feel any fetal movement from the outside? Can you bounce sheep like you do goats to see if there are any more lambs in her?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    My dad went in and he said she was not dialated enough to where he can feel around. Maybe that means she's done and has no other babies.
    Then we also tried getting the baby to suck and he doesn't seem to get the idea, I don't know if he'd been able to eat or not and I don't know if he's like that because he's not hungry or if he's weak.
    Of course we weren't expecting things to happen like this so we don't have any milk replacer or clostrum to mix up.
    and it's now the middle of the night where no one is open.
    Anything I can do to get him to suck?

6. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Is the lamb standing on it's own? When my doe had her kids they wouldn't suck on their own, finally it took me 3 hours to get them to suck. It can be frustrating. Can you squeeze the colostrum from the ewe and bottle it to the lamb? That is something else I had to do within the 3 hours I was teaching my kids to suck. You can use an eye dropper to get it into the lamb too. The colostrum is really thick. Don't give up. That lamb needs colostrum. I wish I was closer.

ETA: When your teaching it to suck, put your finger into the side of its mouth to open it and then put the teat all the way in. It worked for me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Yeah, he is standing and walks around on his own. I'll go try again to see if he'll suck.
    These are lessons i'd prefer not to learn the hard way.

8. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Were you there when the ewe gave birth? She could have already eaten the afterbirth. So that would mean that she's done. I hope your lamb makes it.

9. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I am a lot late on a response, but make sure the ewe has milk (colostrum). The pawing at the ground indicates pain and discomfort. I wish your dad could have reached in. I hope all is well now and your ewe has learned to be a mother.

Chris

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How are things doing this morning!??? I sure hope all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by