EWW !! are these eggs !!!! ( MITES )

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jul 15, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    On my sultan chick, the other chicks were fighting for a strawberry and one missed and plucked out some of the feathers on his hackle. I picked him up to see if he was bleeding, when i noticed these clearish white stuff of the feather shafts...they are soft, and plentiful, but only on one side of his neck....they go up until the shaft has feather

I think they are lice eggs but i dont see any adult or larva

I had a silkie with lice last year but treated it....and it died so i dont know how he would have gotten lice, I havent found eggs or lice in any other chick

I tried taking a pic but they just bend in with his feathers

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    If you can imagine a christmas tree made of tiny bubbles .....thats more of what the look like....

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I poured some of the left over lice treatment on the neck....but its people lice treatment

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    If parasites are affected by heat, i think they are all dead...It has been like 103-110 during the daytime

5. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    MITES !! I FOUND THEM !!!!!!!!

but my chicks are on wire howare mites able to live there?

the buggs i found were little brick red color specks, with white smaller versions that i assume to be the babys

covered to the whole sultan in the lice treatment ( hope it works because that the only think i have right now)

6. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a link to info on mites and lice (with photos) and recommended treatment. http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf The lice treatment you used may work, but that's only half the battle. You need treat ALL your birds, clean coop/cages, dust all cracks, crevices, nest boxes, and litter with Sevin dust or permethrin powder, and, you MUST retreat all your birds 7 to 10 days from now to kill any newly hatched mites before they get old enough to lay more eggs. It's a lot of work, but don't take any shortcuts or you'll never get rid of them. They will eventually make your birds very ill so you want those parasites gone as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I have my chicks in a rasied wire bottom separation cage. they have never been in the big coop, do i need to treat the adults too?

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, treat them all & don't use human lice products, it could be very bad or even fatal for chickens. Use Sevin Dust & dust your coop with it too. If chicks on wire could get them, your adults on the ground sure have them too.

9. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    well POOP !! I have to buy alot of stuff now .......

10. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    crap i found them on other chicks.....but none on the adults. hmm................im gonna dust them anyways

But i dont understand is how they got them. Im an outlaw chicken owner (obviously, beverly hills ) so where would they get them !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by