Eww?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 13, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    my chicks SMELL. i havent cleaned their cage (im gonna do it tomoro) but is this normal?

2. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to clean mine every day. They didn't use to smell so bad, but I cleaned it every day anyways, now they are 3 weeks, and getting STINKY!!! [​IMG]

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Depends. How long have you had them? How much ventilation do they get during the day? Are they indoors/outdoors? Under a heat lamp? Is there bedding damp from the water source? Tons and tons of variables here and pictures help (if you can add them!). [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Daily Poop pick up is a must. Fly control. Disease control. Odor control. Basic health requirements. Would you live in a room with feces for days on end, I think not. Keep a bucket out there with a pooper scooper and dump it in a plastic bag weekly for the trash pickup doesn't sound very hard.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Put em outside. And yes chicks have a very distinct odor. Ours were outside immediately, 3 days. Still need to keep the cage clean though.

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yep. My babies are almost three weeks old, and they are getting STINKY! I have to clean them every day, and give them fresh water daily. They keep kicking their bedding into the water, and then the wet bedding sours...gross.

7. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Quote:X2 [​IMG] I ended up putting my waterer inside of a round plastic Chinese take out bowl, and it seems to help, but not entirely get rid of the mess.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    This is horrible to confess... but. When our chickens were babies we brooded them in a storage area of the basement/garage. It was also the place where the cats came through a hole in the wall and used the litter box... Holy coyote could that be one stinking hot mess if it was not kept clean!!!! No more brooding in the storage room.

9. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    They are inside (new england weather is unpredictable and getting cold). They are under a light bulb (but their temporary brooder for when i clean their main one uses an infared heat lamp [​IMG]) Bedding is dry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and soft! [​IMG] They are about 4-5 days old.

10. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Is the odor on their breathe or just on their body and the brooder? Are they acting sick or healthy? Did you hatch them or purchase them?

My chicks have an odor in the brooder if I don't clean it out regularly. And all animals have a natural odor about them - even newborn chicks. Especially if they have any leftover egg parts on them or shells hanging around - that stuff can really stink up the brooder. Someone else mentioned the poo - if it's that green poo or yellow poo - I think it stinks more then the brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by