Ewww. Gangrene? *gag*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Camelot Farms, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DH just culled one of my favorite Porcelain D'uccle. Went out to feed and noticed that she had some blood on the base of her tail feathers. Picked her up, pushed the tail down to get a better look and *GAG*. From the base of her tail, up 2 inches, I could see muscle/tendons etc. It spread from her spine out about an inch on either side but ended well before her vent. The area surrounding it had a greenish caste. No maggots or wormy-ness. In fact, the whole thing was remarkably dry and sinewy...sorry for this analogy...rather like beef jerky.

I handle these birds almost daily and have never noticed blood, an odor, tenderness, nothing.

All I can think is that the roo spurred her or scratched her somehow when he was mounting her.

It would have taken a small miracle for her to regrow flesh/tissue in that big of a spot. I've had horses with abscesses smaller than this spot and it took months to regrow tissue. So, we decided to cull her rather than take the chance of a maggot infestation or the other hens picking at it *more gagging*.

Poor mama.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. Tough call, but there's not much you can do once something goes green on you. Sorry.

3. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    You can treat maggot infestations and you'd be amazed how they can recover from some of these injuries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by