Ewww! I need to dust -- but with what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SkyWarrior, Jan 13, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    We butchered a couple of roosters today and one of the roos was a fairly new addition (I take in unwanted poultry for meals) and as I was cleaning him, I found a couple of tiny crawling bugs on his legs. [​IMG] Okay, so I finished cleaning him and now am thinking I need to dust with something. Could've been mites? Hopefully not lice. [​IMG]

Anyway, I figured I need to dust or something. What do you use? Do I have to throw out eggs and how long?

Sigh.

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I'd suggest a complete clean out of your coop, disinfecting etc..
    Remove nest boxes, and bedding, disinfect!
    About the eggs, would washing do the trick? A bit of soapy water? - I'm not sure on this one..[​IMG]

I'm not sure what to dust with but, visit your local pharmacy. Explain the situation and I bet they'll find something for you to 'dust' with.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    most all farm stores will carry lice dust for all animals..they have one just for poultry (( depending on area will have different name ))....they also would have one for cattle / hogs ect. i have used this once when our store ran out for poultry..but worried until i saw no problems from it...anyways dust powder under vent area, across back & tail under wings....as above post said clean coop ,nest boxs ect. dust all nest boxs, floor,roosting areas, esp any place two boards meet/cracks ect ect. whilest you are dusting birds might as well grease legs..to prevent leg mites..vaseline works great..or any food safe oil..babyoil..get it all done at once also grease perches / roosting areas....DE works very well also for worming and dusting for lice...i use it all the time as a precaustion .

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can use Sevin dust or DE

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    DE works very well also for worming

DE has never been proven to have any effect on internal parasites.
    It only works when it's dry​

6. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    Quote:DE has never been proven to have any effect on internal parasites.
    It only works when it's dry

where did you get that info from ? all that ive read about it claims it does...you do have to use it everyday to continue to kill life cycle of the bugs internal, becuz of eggs hatching & such..

7. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    someone i know keeps a nightlight plugged in near floor in her house with a small pan of water under it.she said its for lice on dogs..if they had lice they would be attracted to light,jumpinto water & die...or something like that....anyways i realize dog lice & chickens are differnt but curious if this would also work in a hen house..anyone ever try it ?????

8. soap&eggs

Jul 22, 2010
    sorry..in my above post regarding nightlight &dish of water i wrote lice..i meant fleas...brainfart type of night !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by