Ewww, LuLu Killed A...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickaroo!, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    My chickens were out free ranging when I heard my DH yell, "You better go check on LuLu! She's out there fighting something!" So, I run outside and found her standing over a mole (or vole, I'm not sure which)! I didn't know if it'd hurt her or not if she ate it so I got a shovel and threw it in the woods.

Would it have made her sick it she had eaten it?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

No it won't make her sick. Chickens are omnivores and she would have been just fine eating it. Chickens can actually be very good mousers. Tell your bird congratulations for me!

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

4. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Oh how funny! Mine chase the chipmunks, but haven't caught one yet. I wish they'd get the pesky one that keeps sneaking in my house!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She knows what she can eat. They will swallow a mouse whole too - lizards, small snakes, frogs - all sorts of delicacies to chickens [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are a riot when it comes to "free ranging". If they can't get it down, they will fight over it until its at the size to get down. One of our girls has actually caught a red squirrel! The poor varmet lost 1/2 its tail hair because Queenie was not going to let it go! What a hoot, needless to say, I have not seen any squirrel brave enough to make the rounds on the ground with these girls! Except the chipmonk and his days are numbered!
    Snakes are a favorite food of my girls, of course we do not have any dangerous snakes where we are located.

7. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Chicken thought process: "smaller than me - eat it, bigger than me - hide in the coop!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by