Ewww

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TLWR, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    We had chicken eggs donated to us for hatching.
    1 exploded a few hours after setting them. Replaced it.
    Went in this morning and found another had cracked and oozed all over. Eww. The kids 'helped' me clean it up. Then we brought all the eggs into the bathroom and candled them.
    19 chicken eggs and 22 duck eggs.
    We now have 4 chicken eggs and 21 duck eggs. 1 duck egg I thought was a dud when I checked it last weekend and I was sure today.

So hopefully no more exploding eggs. We are under 2 weeks to go with them now.
    I really only wanted to hatch ducks anyway - guess I don't have to worry about bringing home any chickens since the most we'll have now is 4.

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Wow. That really sucks...Have you tried telling the person that gave you the eggs? You should tell them so they can fix the problem and not give anybody else bad eggs [​IMG]Sorry about you're losses :/

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They were donated with "no promises"and good luck and if we didn't have a good hatch, he'd give us more. He doesn't sell eggs for hatching, but will donate for schools for projects like this.

He hatches out tons of his own and sells them, so he must have reasonable luck on his own.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I would still let him know about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by