Ewwww. Gross, babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheOLDNewChick, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    So my 6 silkie chicks manage to mess up their bedding. I use newspaper for their brooder, and everyday I go out there to change it and its soaked through and sour smelling, and slimy. I've put up to ten layers of newspaper at a time, and it still gets soaked through. It's not the waterer that's leaking as far as I can tell because there's no drastic change in the water level overnight. What in the world are they doing? I used newspaper in the brooder for my other chicks and never had this problem. I don't know what's going on but it's gross. Any ideas?

2. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    You might want to consider changing to pine shavings. It's much easier to maintain. Plus, it's easier on the little legs, too.

Susan

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, even if the water isn't leaking, I use news paper with pine shavings on top. It will help with the mess. I also would raise the water, their fluffyness like to walk though water and drag it everywhre. Either that or you have a local rain cloud over them :p

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Would Cedar chips work or are they toxic?

5. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    No, don't use cedar chips. From what everyone has posted here, they are toxic if the chicks ingest them.

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    No cedar chips, they are toxic. You should have something other than just newspaper. The newspaper is slippery to chicky feet and can easily cause damage to there legs from slipping to much. Get some pine shavings.

7. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Of course Cedar chips are toxic, they're the only kind that comes in the huge bags. [​IMG] Thanks y'all.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Walmart and Petsmart have the huge bags. Try those places.

9. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Walmart & Petsmart around here are always out of the huge bags of pine shavings, they only ever seem to have the cedar chips.

10. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I always get 50 lb bags of pine shavings from my local feed store. Usually for very cheap compared to petstore bags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by